GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1991 M5 won't start - help please

Default 1991 M5 won't start - help please

I have a 1991 e34 M5. It has been sitting for a few months in the garage. I put in a new battery today. When I turn the key I get nothing - nothing. No clicking, no noise, zippo. I checked the fusable (sp?) link near the battery and it seems fine. All fuses seem okay and I'm stumped where to turn. Any help would be appreciated.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

are the battery terminals clean?

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

I'd be asking this question over here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/

When you turn the key does it disengage the steering lock? As you're getting nothing my first guess (assuming battery is charged and connection is good) is that your steering lock is broke. Easiest way to tell if the steering lock is broke is if the steering wheel won't unlock when you turn the key over. If you had an automatic (which you don't) the transmission wouldn't be able to shift out of park either as a busted steering lock also leaves the tranny locked.

Can give you part #'s and info if that's the case. If so, build date & airbag or no airbag info would be needed.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

The battery is brand new, shiny clean, fully charged. The key unlocks the steering wheel. all the lights come on, seatbelt chimes are chiming. But when the key is turned to the start position, nothing. And it has an airbag.

Before it sat it always started with no problem.
    Curt.

1991 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield1952 View Post
    The battery is brand new, shiny clean, fully charged. The key unlocks the steering wheel. all the lights come on, seatbelt chimes are chiming. But when the key is turned to the start position, nothing. And it has an airbag.

Before it sat it always started with no problem.
    Perhaps the starter motor is stuck ? Turn the ignition on (to unlock the steering) and:

a) pop it into first, engage the clutch, take the handbrake (parking brake) off and rock the car backwards and forwards (the more people the better)

or

b) if you have a hill/incline you can go down it and try to 'unstick' the starter motor by bump starting it.

or

c) smack the solenoid on the starter motor with a rubber mallet while someone has the key turned to the start position

With any of the above please be careful !

Also, even though the battery is brand new, do you know if it works ? You many want to prove it by trying to start another car with it.

Or have you tried to jump start the M5, eliminating your new battery from the equation ?
    ( Given you can't open the rear doors without power you must have done something like this already* )

hth

Sal

* assuming the battery is under the rear seat.

You didnt mention if the dash lights dim when you turn the key. If not, power just isnt getting from the battery to the starter or there is a break in that circuit. Couple of things to look at:
    1. Is the earth lead from the engine to chassis OK? Confirm by connecting a jump lead from the engine block to the body and try the key
    2. Are you getting a low tension voltage at the solenoid? Confirm by connecting a bulb and light or DMM to the small solenoid terminal and turn the key. If not, check starter relay
    3. Starter stuck? Dash lights should dim
    4. Starter solenoid stuck? Give it a tap while someone else turns key. There is another test but I dont want to encourage you to risk setting fire to it or injuring yourself

not sure if it has but immobilizer?

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Lots of good advice provided already. You stated the battery is "fully charged". Have you tested it at the terminals or are you assuming its charged since its new? If you haven't tested it, grab a DMM and do it.

I think someone may have mentioned testing for voltage (12+V) at the starter solenoid. If so, I just said it again

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Okay! A laundry list of work for me tonight - thanks for all the input. To answer a couple of the suggestions:

No, the dash lights do not dim when the key is turned to start. Everything appears and sounds normal, all the chimes chime, the lights on the dash come up, there's just nothing when the key is turned. I will roll the car tonight to make sure the starter is not engaged. The battery is brand new and the voltage checks out with a DMM. Terminals all clean and brushed before connecting. I'll double check tonight.

If it's the solenoid I'll have to wait until the weekend when I can get some extra help.

Anyone know how to check the "immobilizer" function?

And bubba966, I did post on the M5 site - thanks for the tip.

Thanks for all the support.
    Curt.

1991 M5

You can use a jumper wire at the diagnostic port to put 12v directly to the starter solenoid. That will confirm that you do not have some alarm/obc/ignition switch problem. Just make sure you have he ignition off and the car in neutral before jumping the wire.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast