GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What would you swap from a 92 donor car to a 95?

Default What would you swap from a 92 donor car to a 95?

So I just got a 1995 525iM in decent shape because my 92 525iM is in pretty terrible shape (partly from harsh winters, partly from neglect). My friend called it a gas cap replacement (take the cap off and attach a new car). I'll show you guys pics when I get it cleaned up.

Apart from the gas cap, I'm making a list of other items I need to grab from the 92 before I sell it to someone who wants to part out the remaining useable components.
    I know that the 95s have different stereo setups than the older cars. So I wonder if I can't just unhook my aftermarket head unit and put it in the 95. If I do this, should I grab the stock amp out of the 92 as well? Has anyone figured out how to wire an ipod-type-device to the stock radio?

Are the OBCs the same from 92 to 95?
    Are there other components that you guys like better on the 91-93 models? I would assume the 95 would be full of mini improvements, but I know that occasionally the engineers unintentionally do the opposite (like adding rust-hungry M-Technic door trim).

Thanks.

BennyM

Just hook up your aftermarket stereo to the new car... nothing else is needed.

Smething wrong with the OBC on the 95? Just swap out the bulbs if that is the problem.

the transmission and driveshaft is beefier on the 92.

probably too involved to be worth your while, but that driveline (tranny ds shifter xmember, rear diff) is VERY desireable to automatic owners.
    It's the same tranny used in the 95 M3 and known to handle 600 hp and 500+ ft lbs of torque.
    To be honest, I'f I was going to dump the car for little or nothing (ie if it were rusted out) I'd probably gut the car, take the entire powertrain, all computers and modules, taillights, seats, sunroof, and any other trim that i though I might need or be worth selling. then sell the roller to the junkyard/crusher.