GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Stock radio reception is failing?

Default Stock radio reception is failing?

My stock radio reception seems to be failing especially on AM. Staions are geting harder to pick up and thre is often a popping noise on weak stations especially when I first turn on the radio. No difference when the engine is running.

Should I check the radio or the antenna amplifiers? I am at aloss to what to check or have checked. TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

check the area where the wiring is connected to the rear window first.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

been in the dash recently? sure you didn't unplug the second antenna lead?

Nope Have not been in the dash area. Will check antenna/window connections.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Not sure what I should look for aon rear window connections. Removed sail panels and a couple connections on driver's side looked "weak". I cleaned all the connections and treated with a contact cleaner detoxit (sp). May have made a slight difference. Wiggled all connections while set on a weak AM station-no difference. Perhaps I should remove stock radio and clean antenna connections on radio.
    Thanks,

yes, has to be some oxidation somewhere, did you look into the antenna booster? I read that somewhere yesterday...
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Not sure what I should look for aon rear window connections. Removed sail panels and a couple connections on driver's side looked "weak". I cleaned all the connections and treated with a contact cleaner detoxit (sp). May have made a slight difference. Wiggled all connections while set on a weak AM station-no difference. Perhaps I should remove stock radio and clean antenna connections on radio.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I suspect the antenna booster is working, at some level, as I disconnected one of the coxaxal like cables and had no AM reception. Next step will be to pul the radio.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I suspect the antenna booster is working, at some level, as I disconnected one of the coxaxal like cables and had no AM reception. Next step will be to pul the radio.
    yeah i've had head units lose reception and it was an internal problem i would for sure suspect that... never found out what the problem was because i just replaced the head unit.