GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cam belt on the e34 m20

Default cam belt on the e34 m20

because i'm not a mechanic.i would like to know how to set the cam belt in the right position so that i dont break the rockers again if any of you have any pictures will be nice
    thanks guys i 'm learning more and more everyday

Quote Originally Posted by allerston View Post
    because i'm not a mechanic.i would like to know how to set the cam belt in the right position so that i dont break the rockers again if any of you have any pictures will be nice
    I'm not clear how you broke rockers with the cam belt but never mind. I dont know the M20 either but rule of thumb is line up the timing marks then fit the belt so the longest run is as tight as you can get it. Whatever tension mechanism is fitted should take care of the rest. Then turn over a couple of times BY HAND and make sure the timing marks are still in line

TDC is marked 'I' on the crank pulley as the O I T and the camwheel has an arrowpoint on the metal backing plate. The arrow needs to be pointing to the DOT on the head casting. Sorry I haven't got any pics but if you really need them I could dig my spare head out tomorrow and show you the marks.

HTH,

Shaun M

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE View Post
    TDC is marked 'I' on the crank pulley as the O I T and the camwheel has an arrowpoint on the metal backing plate. The arrow needs to be pointing to the DOT on the head casting. Sorry I haven't got any pics but if you really need them I could dig my spare head out tomorrow and show you the marks.

HTH,

Shaun M
    thank you shaun! i would really love to learn more about tdc. i have already seen the marking on the camwheel but i cannot find the marking on the crank pulley some pictures will really help if you don't mind. thanx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    I'm not clear how you broke rockers with the cam belt but never mind. I dont know the M20 either but rule of thumb is line up the timing marks then fit the belt so the longest run is as tight as you can get it. Whatever tension mechanism is fitted should take care of the rest. Then turn over a couple of times BY HAND and make sure the timing marks are still in line
    because i did not know about the timing marks it was way of i put the cam belt on and assembled the everything and then tried and start my car thats how the rockers broke and the valves got bent.

allerston..... here you go: http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-inde...20+timing+belt

M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

Hi Allerston, sorry I haven't ben able to post any pics for you, I've been a busy bee! Here's another link (e30) but the crank pulley mark is the same as the one pictured.

http://e30world.com/engine/BMW-E30-t...and-water-pump

HTH,

Shaun M

because i did not know about the timing marks it was way of i put the cam belt on and assembled the everything and then tried and start my car thats how the rockers broke and the valves got bent.
    Thats a very hard lesson you learned Perhaps a copy of Bentleys should be on your shopping list before too long?

I wonder if he's found a new head? There were a couple on ebay this week

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE View Post
    I wonder if he's found a new head? There were a couple on ebay this week
    I think Allerston is in South Africa so postage may be a bit steep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast