I have a clunk noise coming from the front right side wheel (passenger side), new strut inserts just installed (had the clunk noise before the shock absorber fail) and no the strut collar nut (retainer nut) is not loose, the end link are good also, seems to be one of the ball joints, but which one this is tough to say, both doesn't show loose when tested with a crow bar and bushing of both arms the control one (lower one) and the strut one (the upper one) seem good.

I did the following test: in the drive way an other person run the right wheel over a bump ( a peace of 2x4 wood stud ) me being outside near the wheel, i can clearly hear the clunk and it clearly come from the steering plate area (where ball joints are fixed).

I notice that the clunk noise is a bit louder when the wheel fall down the stud that when it gets on the stud.

My strut arm and bushing (upper arm) have been change about 60000 km ago i don't know if the control arm have ever been change on that side of the car.

If i had to guest i would order a new strut arm and bushing, but i would prefer to be sure which arm is really defective before going ahead.

Any clue as how to test the ball joints so to be sure to change the proper one ?