GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 520i E34 - Check Engine light?

Default 520i E34 - Check Engine light?

Hi, I bought a 1993 520iA E34 last week, and it's been playing up a bit - stalling at traffic lights and not re-starting for 10 mins or so.
    I was hoping to be able to do the 'stomp test' to get it to give me some fault codes. However I can't find the Check Engine light - does this model actually have a Check Engine light? I can't see one when the ignition is turned on. The bulb could have blown I guess?
    The manual isn't very clear, it show a completely different instrument cluster to the one I have.
    Any help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by andylarox View Post
    However I can't find the Check Engine light - does this model actually have a Check Engine light?
    To my knowledge, Euro-spec E34s generally do not have a functioning Check Engine light, nor does the stomp test work even if you install a bulb in the appropriate slot.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Check fuel pressure (culprits being FP Regulator, fuel pump and Idle control valve) in that order. Another thing to check for is the return valve on the fuel tank, maybe $15 USD from BMAparts.com.

And always look for vacuum leaks- you need to religously check and follow every hose and connection on the intake manifold: A vacuum leak on the FPR or elsewhere on an M50 can cause strange chaotic symptoms.

Get a new regulator if you are having problems and can't be 100% its the furl pump.

All that said, you need to check that a relay is not malfuncitoning when it or the car gets hot (completelty different things), so be sure to look for power a the fuel pump (on one of theose wonderful occasions that it won't start) and spark.

The stomp test works only on US cars and a few oddities. Not main stream euro models like yours. Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 09-20-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!