GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e34 535i notchy steering

Default e34 535i notchy steering

Hello fellow bimmer fans,

I jsut recently bought a 89 535i 5spd, and the power steering is very notchy, as if the PS is cutting in and out which makes it worse than if it was disabled. Imagine taking a hard turn and all of a sudden someone yanks the wheel.. thats exactly what it feels like. The car has 175k, about 30k ago, the PS hose from the pump to the gearbox and the hose from the gearbox to the cooler were replaced and ATF added (dont think it was flushed, per se).
    I drained the fluid today, completely clean ATF, nice red color with no bits in it.

Is there an actual bleeding procedure for the system or just trunt he wheel left and hold for 5 seconds, right, repeat?
    I plan on using a dexron III spec ATF, is that fine?

which is more likely the culprit here, the PS pump or gear box.. can either be rebuilt from other parts?

Any and all advice is muc h appreciated. I did search and went through the factory manual, but found nothing of subtance.

thank you!!

www.pskits.com sells kits for cheap. Unless you have air bubbles in the line (there is a special procedure to get them out) and the cavitation noise is alarming so you'll know, don't worry too much. Only trouble with these can be loose belts (people like to use the wrong sized ones) and the pumps wearing out.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

thanks Genphreak for the adivce, unfortunately, no bubbles and no noise and no leak. The belt is the right one and its well tensioned, so it looks like the problems are concentrated in the steering gear box, unfortunately I cannot find a rebuild kit for that (I assume it is the worm gear that is worn?)
    As for the PS kit link you posted, the only kits they have are for racked bmws no gear box parts

thanks

Sounds like your steering box is shot

thats the kind of confirmation I was looking for... now the hunt to buy a new/good used one for cheap.

thanks

i always thought the p/s was self bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by hellspcangel911 View Post
    thats the kind of confirmation I was looking for... now the hunt to buy a new/good used one for cheap.

thanks
    Just to elaborate, my guess is the box had play in it and the PO adjusted it up. Most of the wear is in the centre of the lock because that gets most use. So if you adjust to take up the play there it may bind in other spots or even lock up when it gets to full lock. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Just to elaborate, my guess is the box had play in it and the PO adjusted it up. Most of the wear is in the centre of the lock because that gets most use. So if you adjust to take up the play there it may bind in other spots or even lock up when it gets to full lock. HTH
    I agree entirely, but the prices i am seeing for these gear boxes is between 90-1900usd$. BMR has the part with a warranty for 300 shipped.. which on a 1300 car is a tad much so I may go with the 100 box since the seller claims it has 1/2 inch of thread left on the adjsuting screw at the top and removed from a car with 120k.
    Im really suprised that no one sells a kit for these worm gears. I will take mine a apart and see what it looks like inside, maybe bring the worm gear to my local machine show and saee waht they can turn up.

Default PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by hellspcangel911 View Post
    I agree entirely, but the prices i am seeing for these gear boxes is between 90-1900usd$. BMR has the part with a warranty for 300 shipped.. which on a 1300 car is a tad much so I may go with the 100 box since the seller claims it has 1/2 inch of thread left on the adjsuting screw at the top and removed from a car with 120k.
    Im really suprised that no one sells a kit for these worm gears. I will take mine a apart and see what it looks like inside, maybe bring the worm gear to my local machine show and saee waht they can turn up.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I think I saw you post this question on another forum. I replied to check the u-joint in the steering shaft. This is fairly common and your symptoms match this failure perfectly.
    Should you insist on buying a steering box I have one to sell.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast