GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M50 oil sump leak?

Default M50 oil sump leak?

Hi,

Just wondering if it is common for the oil sump gasket to need changing? I appear to have a minor leak... although I'm finding that it is covering the gearbox in oil also. (It's not the gearbox leaking as it's brown instead of red)

I'm going to check the bolts are all tight, as I've noticed this was a common issue on the M30.

If I do need to change it, is it easy or is it like the M30 and a pain in the rear? From last time I was under, looks like it'd get caught on a few things unless I lift the engine?!

On another note, it also never seems to show as full on the dipstick... yet the light doesn't come on for oil pressure. I checked it the other day and it was below the min line, apart from 2 thin lines up each side of the dipstick that reached the max. I've topped it up by half a litre for now, but this has happened in the past (stupid oil leak) and even when I put what should be enough to fill it, still seems to show low. Now I'm worried the dipstick isn't showing correctly and don't want to overfill.

Thanks

Its not TOOOOO bad. Yes its a common place for leaks to start. Note that the torque on the bolts is not very much. They're only M10s. It can be replaced relatively easily ... at least I think so, but I may have a skewed opinion on the word "easy".

As for the oil light, the oil pressure light will not come on based on oil level. Only the oil level light will come on (its actually a message not a light) if the oil is low enough. Your dipstick is showing correctly if the dipstick is fully in the tube and the tube is fully in the oil pan.

I've done that oil pan gasket twice now. First time when it was actually leaking, the second when I blew the pan.

To give you a quick idea:

Drop the Front subframe,remove belts, remove the power steering pump.

Get a flex ratchet, with a 18" extension, and a 10mm flex socket...as well as a 10mm long socket. And you need some torx sockets

It's not so bad if you have a lift and tools, but if your doing it in your drive way it can be difficult.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Default Low oil?

IIRC your motor is set that far back the injector rail is tucked under the bulkhead. So I dont know if you have room to just lift the engine. I imagine the trick is to support the engine with a hoist while you drop the subframe to give you clearance. Not something I would want to do on the street
    Your oil may be so clean its difficult to see on the dipstick. You could try turning it a bit? I dont have any leads running off the dipstick so I dont think I have a low oil level sender. Be interested to know where it lives if I do have one though
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

You absolutely 100% do not have to drop the subframe OR lift the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    You absolutely 100% do not have to drop the subframe OR lift the engine.
    Curious now. Whats the knack then Jon? Put the pistons half way up the bores so the webs dont catch the pan? I'd do a search if the button was working
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Curious now. Whats the knack then Jon? Put the pistons half way up the bores so the webs dont catch the pan? I'd do a search if the button was working
    Nope - its not bad - the lowest point is the oil pump. If you unbolt the pan fully, you can slide it straight out if you cock it about 5 degrees back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Nope - its not bad - the lowest point is the oil pump. If you unbolt the pan fully, you can slide it straight out if you cock it about 5 degrees back and forth.
    What about the oil pan pickup....isnt that the lowest point that always gets caught?

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god View Post
    What about the oil pan pickup....isnt that the lowest point that always gets caught?
    ... you take that off in the pan...

Default I raised the engine when I did it.

While Jon K could probably do this blindfolded, I consider it to be a fairly challenging job.

The oil pan is pretty long and is bolted in a lot of places (some bolts are rather elusive). If you can get an engine hoist, raising the engine might actually be easier than lowering the subframe. It's just a matter of unbolting the engine mounts. Also, I think I had the wrong sealant when I did mine and so it leaked almost immediately. I was pretty bummed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast