It seems that forgeting to lube the spline has driveability issues. Knotchy shifting and in consisent feel in the shifter. Also not getting the pilot bearing all the way seated contributes to drag in first gear. When i put my pilot bearing in I was afraid to give a good tap. I just pushed it in with the end of a large dowell rod and thought it was as far as it was gonna go - i was incorrect. So, this time around I found a socket that just right and tapped 'er on in there.

Now my car shifts smooth. Thanks to BillR for the tip on KLUEBER lubrications. They make the MICROLUBE 261. Referenced in the Bentely and some BMW techicnal publications. Interesting note on the Microlube. I attempted to first source this thru BMA,, but patrick stated that he could not get it anymore. So after BillR told me who made it, I ordered it straight from the manufacture. ( alot of begging and white lies were told).

So, the lesson I have learned is - Lube the spline and insure that the pilot bearing is all the way seated.

JoeS.