GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: CPS Location?

Default CPS Location?

I have a no start problem on my '95 525i.

I have tested the fuel relay and pump and they are both fine. I want to put in a new CPS.

Where on the block is this? A search of the forum turned up some info on an e39 showing some pictures of it towards the back on the intake side.

Searching realoem shows a part called a "trigger contact". This the same part?

Any guidance would be great.

-Steve
    Steve
    1989 M3
    1995 525i 5sp
    1993 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by Steve N View Post
    I have a no start problem on my '95 525i.

I have tested the fuel relay and pump and they are both fine. I want to put in a new CPS.

Where on the block is this? A search of the forum turned up some info on an e39 showing some pictures of it towards the back on the intake side.

Searching realoem shows a part called a "trigger contact". This the same part?

Any guidance would be great.

-Steve
    Isnt it no. 9?:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...57&hg=11&fg=10

Its hidden under the upper rad hose and fits in the metal bit I've circled. Its held in with a 5mm allen bolt. The other end plugs into a harness near the intake manifold. If your fuel system is OK, good chance its the CPS. Did you check fault codes??

Dave
    Last edited by Dave M; 09-09-2008 at 05:51 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Like your style Dave - engine in the house. Once got into all sorts of trouble with mine on the dining room table. Should have realised it was meant to be cleaned up nice like yours first

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Its hidden under the upper rad hose and fits in the metal bit I've circled. Its held in with a 5mm allen bolt. The other end plugs into a harness near the intake manifold. If your fuel system is OK, good chance its the CPS. Did you check fault codes??

Dave

What is "that thing" in place of the power steering pump? Actually in place of the alternator..
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng View Post
    What is "that thing" in place of the power steering pump? Actually in place of the alternator..

Actually, thats my transfurbonator. Its guaranteed to add 1.2 Kj per ocilation at 300 degrees Kelvin. Since installing it, I've reduced my 212 fathom standing start time to just under 1,000,000,000k picoseconds.

If you don't believe that, then maybe you'll believe its a 140 amp Bosch alternator. Assuming we're talking about he same component.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Now that is what I'm talking about.

Thank you for the pic.

I have some funny things happening with the car right now. I pulled the fuel pump to test it and it worked fine with 12v on it. I put it back in and the car started up and ran fine for about 3 min, then stalled. I figured it was a failing pump at this time. I put a new pump in yesterday and it still won't start.

So....now I'm back to the CPS since the relay tested OK.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

Dave
    Steve
    1989 M3
    1995 525i 5sp
    1993 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by Steve N View Post
    Now that is what I'm talking about.

Thank you for the pic.

I have some funny things happening with the car right now. I pulled the fuel pump to test it and it worked fine with 12v on it. I put it back in and the car started up and ran fine for about 3 min, then stalled. I figured it was a failing pump at this time. I put a new pump in yesterday and it still won't start.

So....now I'm back to the CPS since the relay tested OK.

-Steve
    Questions:

1) You say it ran fine, but to clarify, does it idle low, high, rough, smooth?? (intake leaks)

2) Any other symptoms other than it stalls?

3) When it stalls, does it 'put put put' and die slowly like its fuel starved or does it just quit suddenly.

If its a sudden stalling, then continue down the CPS road. If its a rough idle and 'put put put' death, then the CPS is not as likey. Since it won't start, the CPS or camshaft position sensor (don't forget about that) are my guess.

Oh, its not an allen bolt for the CPS, its a regular 10mm bolt. Damn memory.

Good luck with it,

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

I started from the beginning.

Jumped the pins on the relay and got nothing. Pulled a fuel line and cranked with relay jumped and had no fuel pumping.

Checked power at the harness in the trunk and had good power. Pulled the pump again. Ah ha. A friend of mine who was helping reversed the wires on the new connector that came with the new pump. Reversed them and now it runs perfect.

Thanks for all the help.
    Steve
    1989 M3
    1995 525i 5sp
    1993 525iT

So this friend of yours was 'helping'

Glad it got solved,

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *