GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Oil Pump

Default Oil Pump

Hello, I am getting a used oil pump in a few days from a 93 740i and i have few questions about the install. Im assuming I need to fill it with oil before I install it, anything else I need to do? How tight does the chain need to be and how do tighten it? A thin little brass tube came off when I pulled the old pump and was really loose on the oil pump, does it need a new o ring or anything? And does the tube need to be lined up with anything in the block when I reinstall it? Last question is since the car has sat for about a week with all of the oil drained out of the motor, isnt starting the car going to be bad for the motor for a few seconds? I really just dont want to mess up this motor.
    Dan Lafley
    Nervous owner of a 95 530i

Dan,

Don't know the answers to your oil pump questions. But I can say that when you're putting oil back into the engine when you've got the pump & pan all back together pour a few of the 8 quarts it takes for a fill into the oil filter canister before you put the new filter in it.

That should help distribute the oil to places it's drained out of.

If you really were worried about a dry start, pull the relay or fuse for the fuel pump and crank the car over for 20-30 seconds. That in addition to pouring the oil down the filter and cam cover should have the oil mostly circulated through the system. Then you can re-install the relay or fuse you pulled out and start it up.

It will also help to use a 0w-X or a 5w-X weight oil to refill the engine with. The 0w oil will get circulated quicker than any other weight oil thereby minimizing the duration or possibility of a dry start (depending upon if you crank it over with no fuel or not).

I've been running Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 in my M-Sport and it runs very well with that oil. I'd put that in the filter and cam cover and just start it up and not worry about cranking it without fuel if it was me.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Does the picture help you?

I'd remove all eleven (I think there are eleven) M6 bolts on the oil pump and loctite them.

I loctited the thee M8 bolts on the base of the pump. I even deformed the nut on the oil pump sprocket to prevent it from coming loose. See picture. I did not open the sump the last oil change (10k miles). I will next time.

I did not prime the oil pump. There will be 8 qt of oil in the sump when you start the pump.
    Last edited by yaofeng; 09-10-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

I think I have everything figured out, however I have run into a new problem as usual. I got a used oil pump today and the PO didnt remove the gear while it was on the Chain and I cannot get it off no matter how hard I try. Sometimes I hate car work.
    Dan

I presume you do not have an air impact wrench. It'll come off in one second. The alternative is to put the pump on a vise. If you don't have that either you need to fashion some type of clamp using a few pieces of 2x4's screwed together to gain leverage and then loosen with a socket wrench.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

why change the gear, is it worn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgade View Post
    I think I have everything figured out, however I have run into a new problem as usual. I got a used oil pump today and the PO didnt remove the gear while it was on the Chain and I cannot get it off no matter how hard I try. Sometimes I hate car work.
    Dan
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy