GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Differential oil & brake fluid

Default Differential oil & brake fluid

I need to change both. I have the brake fluid, but I am not sure if I can change it like on a regular car. By regular I mean have someone pump the brakes while I open the bleed screw and repeat until clean fluid comes out. I have ASC+T, so can I change it the regular way?

For differential fluid, the owners manual wasn't much help. What weight oil should I use? Should I get synthetic?

Thanks.

To help out the forum gurus, we've checked russiankid's diff tag and it does not have an S in the designation number, so no LSD. My owner's manual recommends SAE 90 GL-5 hyphoid gear oil for all models, but this is a 1990 production year manual.

GL-5 is good, if the weather is warmer than you can use the heavier weight. By all means I would suggest a synthetic lube as there gears are marginal in size vs strength.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

sorry no help here for non lsd, but for lsd oem was= to a 75w-90 which has been superceded by an 80w140 equivalent.
    I run mobil one synthetic 80w-140 and did not need to add any additional friction modifier, unlike those that run redline stuff.

the prices for the BMW stuff =

M-1 didnt cause any clutch chatter around corners??? I ended up having to put in the additive it was so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    sorry no help here for non lsd, but for lsd oem was= to a 75w-90 which has been superceded by an 80w140 equivalent.
    I run mobil one synthetic 80w-140 and did not need to add any additional friction modifier, unlike those that run redline stuff.

the prices for the BMW stuff =
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

okay, non lsd is 75w-90 by the manufacturer and yes do brakes the regular way. no worries mate.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    M-1 didnt cause any clutch chatter around corners??? I ended up having to put in the additive it was so bad.
    not with the 80w 140.

Default Since about 1999 bmw has only recommended

synthetic gear oil for the differentials and no conventional mineral oils , this applies to older as well as newer cars.

As far as the brake bleeding i would use a turkey baster to suck up as much fluid as possible out of the brake reservoir and then fill with clean new fluid before you start bleeding them.

Thanks for the replies. I'll most likely tackle both of these jobs once I replace my oil filter housing seal.