GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: prestone all makes with dexcool?

Default OT: prestone all makes with dexcool?

long story short

the low coolant light in my mother's chevrolet (2001 chevy impala 3.4) came on. i am unable to determine whether or not the resivoir was actually empty, or if it was just a sensor malfunction. 3 weeks ago, while i was changing the spark plugs, the level was above cold, so there was an adequate amount in it.

arrived at her house today to see a half empty jug of prestone all-makes all models antifreeze sitting on the shelf.

i flushed the system out and put new dexcool in the car in november 2007, less than 12k miles ago.

is there a reason that prestone still sells a separate dex-cool product, or is the all makes all models stuff good to go in this application?

thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

all I remember is the orange crap turns into cheese if mixed with anything but.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default The prestone dexcool is approved by gm and meets their

specs, the all makes all models extended life evidently hasn't been tested but it states clearly all makes all modes, I wouldn't hesitate to use the extended life all makes etc... in fact i have put it in a number of customers cars with no problems, its green so it doesn't make a pretty orange color when blended with dexcool but it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    long story short

the low coolant light in my mother's chevrolet (2001 chevy impala 3.4) came on. i am unable to determine whether or not the resivoir was actually empty, or if it was just a sensor malfunction. 3 weeks ago, while i was changing the spark plugs, the level was above cold, so there was an adequate amount in it.

arrived at her house today to see a half empty jug of prestone all-makes all models antifreeze sitting on the shelf.

i flushed the system out and put new dexcool in the car in november 2007, less than 12k miles ago.

is there a reason that prestone still sells a separate dex-cool product, or is the all makes all models stuff good to go in this application?

thanks.

good to know bill.

i don't understand how anyone buys gm anything these days. the 99 taurus has been a paragon of reliability compared to this thing. we suspect that it needs another intake manifold gasket as it is leaking somewhere unusual, though it has only been 30k miles since GM themselves changed one out. it only has ~100k and so far i've done two calipers, need to do a brake MC, both cv axles, deal with the reason why the blower doesn't come on when you turn it sometimes until you play with it, put an oxygen sensor on it, need to put plug wires on it because one tore out from the wire when i tried to change the plug. the fleet company has done a LIM gasket on it. really, why would anyone buy one of these other than the fact that it is a 3400lb car that gets a real 22mpg city when everything is working? i'm anticipating pressure testing the cooling system tomorrow and seeing if it burps somewhere easy, changing the o2 sensor, and putting synthetic motor oil into it in case the engine is chugging water. oh, and sending the oil off to get analysed for water.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default FelPro makes an intake gasket designed to solve

that problem with the 3.4's. I've done a couple of them and it seems to work, so far anyway. Also in that motor always use the GM sealing pellets on the cooling system. The ones with ginger in them.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    good to know bill.

i don't understand how anyone buys gm anything these days. the 99 taurus has been a paragon of reliability compared to this thing. we suspect that it needs another intake manifold gasket as it is leaking somewhere unusual, though it has only been 30k miles since GM themselves changed one out. it only has ~100k and so far i've done two calipers, need to do a brake MC, both cv axles, deal with the reason why the blower doesn't come on when you turn it sometimes until you play with it, put an oxygen sensor on it, need to put plug wires on it because one tore out from the wire when i tried to change the plug. the fleet company has done a LIM gasket on it. really, why would anyone buy one of these other than the fact that it is a 3400lb car that gets a real 22mpg city when everything is working? i'm anticipating pressure testing the cooling system tomorrow and seeing if it burps somewhere easy, changing the o2 sensor, and putting synthetic motor oil into it in case the engine is chugging water. oh, and sending the oil off to get analysed for water.

just used some PEAK "mix with any coolant" coolant in sisters car and worked fine

Is it ok to put prestone coolant in the e34?

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    just used some PEAK "mix with any coolant" coolant in sisters car and worked fine

dexcool is a far different animal than anything that ever went into a german car.