GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Subaru Forester, need opinions..............

Default OT: Subaru Forester, need opinions..............

OK, first off, there is very little choice in used hatchbacks where I live. We need a hatch with good winter manners for as little as possible. I came across a high mile (proven highway miles) 2000 Sub forester, which has received head gaskets and timing belt in the past 6 months (these engines apparently eat gaskets).

I've never been a fan of Subs and have read a bunch of reviews recently that condemn them for head gaskets, CELs, piston slap (appently harmless), cat converters, O2 sensors, knock sensors and wheel bearings.

Does anyon have anything good to say. The price is REALLY low due to high miles (300k kms = ~190k miles), which I'm afraid of as we'll do a swap if/when it gets to that point.

Curious, so let me have it. And remember, pickins are slim.................

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

two of my friends have forresters, and like them. my sister has an outback with the head gasket problem.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Always liked the Forresters, they're wolves in sheeps clothing...

Iirc impretza (sp?) just bolt straight onto them for the main part.

EDIT: Er, that was supposed to be 'impretza parts'
    Last edited by Ferret; 09-02-2008 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Always liked the Forresters, they're wolves in sheeps clothing...

Iirc impretza (sp?) just bolt straight onto them for the main part.

The Subaru XT uses the same running gear as the WRX, giving it a 0-60 in the 5 second range I believe (some heavy gearing involved).

Don't forget the rainbow decal.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default I've been seeing a lot of these for various reasons

head gaskets, burnt valves, Numerous automatic transmission failures , usually front clutch pack. Long hesitation when shifting from park to reverse or drive. When changing the timing belt on these, almost always the tensioner assy and all the idler pulleys and seals need to be replaced, Typical honda or toyota at 100k you change only the belt , idlers and tensioner are usually fine. Cracked Y pipe assy with the cats as part of it. Very pricey from the dealer but on cars with lower mileage it was warranteed...Lotsa little emission failures codes for charcoal canister and leaks in the evaporative system... And here in Arizona everything for a subaru is prices probably double toyota,nissan, honda parts prices. Quentin in Australia said it was the opposite there, I don't know how it is in Canada, if the parts are cheaper or more. They seem to be fairly troublesome considering what a die hard group of owners they have... similar to Saab owners i guess, gluttons for punishment

Aren't they all lesbians? No wait, we wish they were all lesbians. No wait, we wish they were all lesbians and we were all hot lesbian jailbait........

Bill, thanks for the lowdown, even though you failed to drop a single carpet munching comment. I'll pay extra attention to the autobox when I test drive it later this afternoon. As for the engine, I'm not too shy about head gaskets and timing belts, its the tranny and any other diagnostic PITAs that will get me down.

I'll be sure to follow up if we buy it.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Dave,

First of all, wanted to say hi, haven't been on this board in awhile. How are things holding up?

I'll first start with an obligatory Canada comment - "Does the subaru run okay on maple syrup, or will you have to find gasoline for it?"

Anyway, my grandparents bought a subie (want to say an outback, don't know what year) but were blown away with its snow handling abilities, they loved it. Donated it to my aunt and uncle in Colorado later on, and they loved it, until they blew the engine. I had to read between the lines, but it seems they ran it low on oil, so don't take that as a negative comment.

The real information is in that they bought a rebuilt engine from the subaru dealer and had it put in, and they said that failed shortly after. Don't have any details on that, sorry. Bottom line is they said the car was nickel and diming them to death, but like I said, they're not car people and the car may not have been to blame.

Hope that helps at least some.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski View Post
    Dave,

First of all, wanted to say hi, haven't been on this board in awhile. How are things holding up?

I'll first start with an obligatory Canada comment - "Does the subaru run okay on maple syrup, or will you have to find gasoline for it?"

Anyway, my grandparents bought a subie (want to say an outback, don't know what year) but were blown away with its snow handling abilities, they loved it. Donated it to my aunt and uncle in Colorado later on, and they loved it, until they blew the engine. I had to read between the lines, but it seems they ran it low on oil, so don't take that as a negative comment.

The real information is in that they bought a rebuilt engine from the subaru dealer and had it put in, and they said that failed shortly after. Don't have any details on that, sorry. Bottom line is they said the car was nickel and diming them to death, but like I said, they're not car people and the car may not have been to blame.

Hope that helps at least some.
    It does help Dan, thanks. Things on the e34 front are great. I haven't had to do any significant repairs in the past two years, so its treating me well. I almost wish it would throw me a brake lining fault so I can have some fun. Maybe thats why I see this orphaned Sub as a way to spend some quality garage time and save some $$. If I picked it up for $1000 (conceivable), did the front brakes, front axles and some other general maintenance, it would be a bargain. If/when the engine and or tranny pukes, I'd still be ahead...............maybe.

Anyhow, it starts, it runs, it shifts. I'll likely throw them a very low ball offer in a couple of weeks if its still there. Hope evertythings well with you.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast