GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Gas or oil filled shock absorber

Default Gas or oil filled shock absorber

Have to change mine on the front one has leak last weak (oil leak).

I plan to order new ones from BMA, i notice through their web site that what they recommend (BOGE, MEYLE etc...) are all gas filled insert and the original one from BMW are oil filled; so is it really OK to go with gas filled inserts or is it a compromise we are doing to get cheaper price ? What the performance difference ?

I wouldn't get KYB, and you cannot go wrong with Sachs which is OEM. If you have more money you can go Bilsteins HD. I never used the Bilsteins Touring, they might just work fine.

But gas shocks still have oil in them:

GAS SHOCKS
    Definition: A type of shock absorber that's pressurized with nitrogen gas to reduce internal foaming and cavitation. Considered to be a premium grade shock, gas shocks are often used as original equipment on sports sedans and even mini-vans. A gas shock usually provides noticeably better ride control and flatter cornering. They're well worth considering if you're in need of replacement shocks.

'85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    I wouldn't get KYB, and you cannot go wrong with Sachs which is OEM. If you have more money you can go Bilsteins HD. I never used the Bilsteins Touring, they might just work fine.

But gas shocks still have oil in them:

GAS SHOCKS
    Definition: A type of shock absorber that's pressurized with nitrogen gas to reduce internal foaming and cavitation. Considered to be a premium grade shock, gas shocks are often used as original equipment on sports sedans and even mini-vans. A gas shock usually provides noticeably better ride control and flatter cornering. They're well worth considering if you're in need of replacement shocks.

Would a Monroe replacement do the job properly ? that's the only one i can get localy; alternative being either to get it from BMW dealer or from BMA

I used them on my mother's 524td, not a sport shock in any way but would work fine for a daily driver.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Default The gas filled insert is going to be

superior to an oil filled only shock. The gas keeps the oil from foaming when the shock is worked hard. Unlike Bruno i have had no complaints from customers about KYB shocks and struts and they ride fine in everything i've put them in. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Pat or Yves from BMA instead of Monroe.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Have to change mine on the front one has leak last weak (oil leak).

I plan to order new ones from BMA, i notice through their web site that what they recommend (BOGE, MEYLE etc...) are all gas filled insert and the original one from BMW are oil filled; so is it really OK to go with gas filled inserts or is it a compromise we are doing to get cheaper price ? What the performance difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    superior to an oil filled only shock. The gas keeps the oil from foaming when the shock is worked hard. Unlike Bruno i have had no complaints from customers about KYB shocks and struts and they ride fine in everything i've put them in. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Pat or Yves from BMA instead of Monroe.
    Thank you all guy, your comments really help me.