GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: e34 540 with autotrans won't pull to redline

Default e34 540 with autotrans won't pull to redline

1995 540 150,500 miles i cannot get the car to pull to redline in anyother gear but first. maybe clogged cats, bad coils, i don't have any other ideas?????
    WHATEVER YOU DO, DO IT RIGHT

Automatic? It sounds like valve body issue if your tranny is automatic. I would definitely rebuild the valve body before considering any other issue. Worn checkballs would do a varying degree of reverse gear engaged.

Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for a half hour or so then re-connecting it?

What RPM does it hit/stop at?

And is the tranny noisy (does it whine?)? If it's noisy it's low on fluid which could make it act odd.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

I'm with Tiger on this, the more you flog it the more it burns the reverse clutches resulting in a very expensive testing routine. What are any other symptoms? Does it seem like the brakes are on when gassing it? If so it's the trans. Be careful with this testing your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Automatic? It sounds like valve body issue if your tranny is automatic. I would definitely rebuild the valve body before considering any other issue. Worn checkballs would do a varying degree of reverse gear engaged.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default new exhaust installed

Quote Originally Posted by gpljrrr View Post
    1995 540 150,500 miles i cannot get the car to pull to redline in anyother gear but first. maybe clogged cats, bad coils, i don't have any other ideas?????
    i installed new exhaust this evening cats were melted, broken, and pieces found there way into premuffler and final muffler. now all freed up, i used
    1- duel 2.25 inlet 3" outlet at the downpipes with flanges at the outlet side (for driveshaft removal access) then 3" 14 ga. aluminized piping to a 3" inlet and 3" outlet (at factory final muffler location) and ended with a 3.25 slash cut rolled end (apporx. 45 deg) tip looks good, perf. awsome revs to redline as if i installed a lightened flywheel on a manual trans. car car simply pulls hard from idle to 2800-3000 rpms then pulls like a 727 at takeoff to redline just to fast for all but experienced drivers.

what made you suspect the cats in the first place?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    what made you suspect the cats in the first place?
    150,000 miles and internal combustion engine is like an air pump if you got good flow in has to go out somehow. and did not seem to be ignition or fuel only one thing left exhaust.