GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter option package and LSD's

Default winter option package and LSD's

Could someone clarify for me whether a car with 'winter options' such as heated seats, etc. will also have a LSD. That is, if it has heated seats, it has a LSD.

There are three '92 525's in the local u-pull-r-parts (including a touring with little rust, Grrrh--). They are also non-ASC-T cars.

There doesn't seem to be tags on the differentials to tell what variety they are otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

Thanks for any help,

Fin

My car, a Canadian car, does have an LSD, but they are only 25 percent lock. Works well in the snow, not so well on dry pavement. I have the heated seats, no ASC, and light washers.

I really don't think winter package = LSD. I think the LSD was still optional.

You can take the VINs to the dealer and have them look at the build sheets of the cars for you to tell if it had an LSD installed at the factory.

Surprised you can't find any tags on the diffs. The LSD I bought for my car (from a '91 M5) had the tag on the diff cover, and an S painted on the top of it.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

92 was the last year that cold weather package included LSD. after that ASC-T was used instead.

Are you going to use this diff on your 530iT?

You are aware that m50 manuals and autos have different gear ratios (3.23 manual/ 4.10 auto) as well as different DS flanges (m or A) correct?

I have no idea what flange a 530 auto diff uses. the manual m50 flange is the larger of the two, both in bolt circle and in bolt sizing.
    maybe compare the NUT sizing for the 530 vs 525-m and 525-A?

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    92 was the last year that cold weather package included LSD. after that ASC-T was used instead.
    I believe that is incorrect. I don't remember AST even being available on a 525i until the '94 model year (which of course started in late '93 but the VIN is the MY designator). The 535i had ASC but not +T, meaning it only controlled the throttle and not the brakes. I could be wrong; I do get mail from AARP.

you are probably right on the asc v. asc-t.
    not having it (nor wanting it!), I pay the various letters little mind.
    What i correct is that 'traction control' replaced the LSD in the cold weather package after 92.

Attack Eagle,

Yes, This is for my 530iT.

I had my ASC+T module fail and would prefer to put in a LSD vice trying to shoehorn a replacement back in (a new one was quoted to me at $2850). The reliability of a LSD over a co-mingling of LAD/Hydraulics, Brake lines AND electrical circuits is obvious.

All of the available cars are autos, so the change would be from 3.23 to 4.10 as is.

Even if the flanges are different, are the ring and gear pieces interchangeable? Are the driven flanges at the wheels different also? Or could I also pull the axles to make it work?

If it wasn't for snow, I wouldn't bother. But as the rear likes to be in front in snow, LSD is of great interest to me.

Thanks for the responses,

Fin

shrike used a 4.10 lsd in his touring by swapping the flanges. he then went 3.64 and 3.46 if that tells you anything... way too deep a gear for a manual car. 530it auto should have a 3.15 which is even taller than an m50. I would hold out for at least a 3.23 LSD.

I'd really like to go the whole way and put a manual drive train in the car, but that's not in the cards for now.

I am sure that a 4.10 rear end would turn a touring into more of a tractor when it comes to speeds down the road.

With kids in the back on a daily basis, safety on the road is more important than mileage. We have a Passat that does the long distance driving anyway.

I'll grab at least one if for no other reason than to see what I'm dealing with when a better ratio'd one comes along.

Thanks for the help,

Fin

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    My car, a Canadian car, does have an LSD, but they are only 25 percent lock. Works well in the snow, not so well on dry pavement. I have the heated seats, no ASC, and light washers.
    how do you find that out? i've always wanted to know.

the car is brilliant in the snow but i have no idea what i'm driving - thought it was LSD but maybe i'm on something else...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast