GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 touch window up-down all 4 windows - what do you want?

Default 1 touch window up-down all 4 windows - what do you want?

Following to our success with the development of the interior light dimmer for E34 and E32, see here short videos
    http://infinitier.ddo.jp/e32/video/topunit.mov
    http://infinitier.ddo.jp/e32/video/foot.mov

we are discussing to develop as per request of some people a 4 window one touch up and down function.

We already have a module which works on E34 and E32 for the passenger side window for up-down one touch function (driver side works anyway up/down one touch with any kind of GM). That module is installed in many E34and E32 here in Japan, because we have RHD and many E32 and E34 here are LHD. So in order to get a more comfortable up-down one touch it was developed here in Japan by one of our members. Think about Highbway toll boths, parking lot ticket machines etc.

Now, based on requests from some people on this and other boards for E34 and E32 we will develope a system for all 4 windows.

Idea:

Functions planned:

1) one touch all 4 windows open by additional switch
    2) one touch all 4 windows close by additional switch
    3) operation beep sound none / small / loud
    4) one touch open operation beep on / off
    5) one touch close operation beep on / off
    6) one touch operation beep until closed or opened

These beep functions are for safety reasons that no one can claim to you that their fingers might be squeezed, and maybe also as a nice gimmick.

These functions are not yet finally fixed and if there are wishes please let us know. We are just asking ourselves what you want to have. Such as one touch close open also including the sunroof or not.

We will then discuss the proposals in our group, if they are workable/feasible, also pricewise and then will decide what we finally will produce.

Thanks for your proposals.

Perhaps the rear lockout button could be utilized for the four windows down/up feature.
    No beeping if you ask me. The action of the windows is confirmation enough that the button has been pressed.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

The beep sounds would annoy me... but the 1 touch for each window would be great. I'd also like it to continue going up even if someone else presses their while mine is moving!

How much will you be looking at selling them for???
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

How much will you be looking at selling them for???
    Depends on:

-requests what should be included in the system
    -quantity. In case there is only a smaller demand, we will have to do a lot of soldering of items. In case the number exceeds a certain minium, we can do it easier to make a motherboard = central or primary printed circuit board (PCB).

Finally we will decide on one version depending what most people request.

The beep sounds would annoy me...
    Can be switched off. But think about safety in the car.
    I do not want to be sued by someone who gets injured by not being careful enough.

So this is an issue we still have to consider, and especially the safety factor is very important. That is why I am also not sure if we will supply a unit to USA or not.

Default some legal thoughts

am personally a bit concerned about legal aspects.
    In some countries people are being litigous.
    Is there any problem? Please comment frankly. I want to make sure.
    Here is why I think it isn't such a problem, but I might be wrong:

-first the people installing this are fans of the E 32/E34. They are self installing something which wasn't OEM, so I think chances of this having legal power are small. But I would like to have all aware of the case.
    -if I decide to sell them, I will state that there is no auto reverse feature if some child gets caught in the window. I then have you as a buyer acknowledged that the risk is there and you are installing at your own risk and liability.
    -this feature is no different to that applied to later E 32/E34 with the automatic windows (one touch down all, one touch up driver side). If it is ok to pass US laws then, it should pose no problem now?
    -lastly the articles linked below imply this will be the law for new cars,not something that will be retrofitted to older cars.

So everyone please comment to my concerns, ...afterall YOU are the ones buying.
    http://www.vehicle-injuries.com:80/w...dents-news.htm

i have never seen a single car where one touch up and down was accompanied by beeping/ Not even the E46 convertibles beep when the roof is going up or down, it just hits rear passengers in the back of the head. I don't think there is any need to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post

So this is an issue we still have to consider, and especially the safety factor is very important. That is why I am also not sure if we will supply a unit to USA or not.
    yeah you don't want to get sued 'cause someone turned the beep off and guillotined their terrier. i'd be happy with a one touch down only, i'll get my key thing working again eventually i hope.

i was driving a friend's car once and i nearly did myself in - i leaned out the window and my elbow ended up on the control on the door armrest - my friend still cracks up about that. so just a suggestion - don't put the control on the door panel armrest or people like me will hurt themselves.

if you really want to make it slick how 'bout a "the windows are closing" a la "the door is a jar"?

For Shogun to cover his ass legally then maybe a small internal 'molex' jumper that switches the one touch up on or off is the way forward. That way the unit can be supplied to do one touch down only. However if the end user decides to modify the unit by inserting the jumper, then they are responsible for severed fingers etc.

Just a thought!

Shaun M

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE View Post
    For Shogun to cover his ass legally then maybe a small internal 'molex' jumper that switches the one touch up on or off is the way forward. That way the unit can be supplied to do one touch down only. However if the end user decides to modify the unit by inserting the jumper, then they are responsible for severed fingers etc.

Just a thought!

Shaun M
    what about covering his ass if the car catches fire from a short?

just tell people that they are purchasing at their own risk.

Very very interesting, me want a lot of kits, I know a lot of my fellow E34 540i owners also wants (and of course M5 owners) I want the same as on E39 = all 4 windows one touch up down on the original switch WITHOUT!! sound.

I don't know what the price would be, but if it's reasonable I could buy 10 kits, what kind of money do we talk about? €30, €100? Or?

Best Regards Stephan
    1995 E34 540iM/6 #410/797
    1996 E34 540i/6 LE #768/797
    1996 E34 540iM/6 #774/797
    Missed:
    1995 E34 540i/6 #631/797
    1995 E34 540i/6 #736/797
    1996 E34 540iM/6 #788/797
    1996 E34 540i/6 #794/797

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast