GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: # I love my e34 again!!!

Default # I love my e34 again!!!

Generally we only post when there's something wrong with our beloved e34's so I thought I'd take this opportunity to say how much I'm loving driving my car these days!!! I now remember why I bought it...

We've had our ups and downs, so much so I was even considering selling it for a while. Now all my maintenance/repairs are *almost* done (just the powerflex thrust bushes to get in!) and the thing's driving like a dream I'm glad I didn't.

The reason I love it so much is hard to pinpoint... It's not just because the design is timeless and it looks amazing from every angle, or because it can blow away most cars away from the traffic lights, or because it's so comfortable to drive no matter how long you're in it... It's got something else too that just puts a smile on your face whenever you drive it. Another thing I love about this car is that's it's taught me so much - fixing it up has been a pleasure and a privilege. I know these cars won't be around forever so keeping this one going is really important to me. I see so many e34's on their last legs and in the scrap yards, it's a real shame.

What I'm trying to say I suppose is don't give up! If your car's giving you a hard time right now see it through, it's worth it. I've had to do so much work over the last couple of months it's really worn me down thinking it'll never end but the list is almost done! (I keep a record too - if anyones interested I'll post it!)

*I know I'm probably tempting fate with this thread by the way! *
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    Generally we only post when there's something wrong with our beloved e34's so I thought I'd take this opportunity to say how much I'm loving driving my car these days!!! I now remember why I bought it...

We've had our ups and downs, so much so I was even considering selling it for a while. Now all my maintenance/repairs are *almost* done (just the powerflex thrust bushes to get in!) and the thing's driving like a dream I'm glad I didn't.

The reason I love it so much is hard to pinpoint... It's not just because the design is timeless and it looks amazing from every angle, or because it can blow away most cars away from the traffic lights, or because it's so comfortable to drive no matter how long you're in it... It's got something else too that just puts a smile on your face whenever you drive it. Another thing I love about this car is that's it's taught me so much - fixing it up has been a pleasure and a privilege. I know these cars won't be around forever so keeping this one going is really important to me. I see so many e34's on their last legs and in the scrap yards, it's a real shame.

What I'm trying to say I suppose is don't give up! If your car's giving you a hard time right now see it through, it's worth it. I've had to do so much work over the last couple of months it's really worn me down thinking it'll never end but the list is almost done! (I keep a record too - if anyones interested I'll post it!)

amen to all that, except i can't say it's always a pleasure (priviledge, yes) - i'm up to about 98% confidence level as to whether she'll start when i turn the key. if i've done enough to get her through a winter even half as severe as the last one i'll feel pretty good about it. (last winter i'm trying to put down as an expensive learning experience)

i haven't even finished and my car is the talk of the office, people are jealous and ashamed of their own cars. just the other day a work buddy told me he was buying a brand new kia and his eyes sank to the floor and his head drooped

not that i'm doing it for that, i bought it for very practical reasons and then went mental for it myself - i want to spend a long time with these wheels.

what - you have a new list? wanna see mine LOL?

to add to the good vibes, as I was blasting down a curvy road on the way home from the gym today I too was reminded as to how much I like my car. I had the same feeling on a trip to the ocean this weekend with 4 people in the vehicle.

i beleive thats there is so many facets of the car that are good..its hard to find another car that does so much,even though the e34 makes you pay in so many ways too...
    Gone but not forgotten

Default John you're so right...

Every time I get in my car and drive it, I feel good.

She's far from perfect. Rust is starting. I pretty much needs a front end suspension rebuild...and the list goes on. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by artguy View Post
    Every time I get in my car and drive it, I feel good.

She's far from perfect. Rust is starting. I pretty much needs a front end suspension rebuild...and the list goes on. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Hey where you been hiding we missed you! Yeah I'm so happy with the car at the moment, I'm not sure I'll ever get it perfect but it's sooooooo close!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    i beleive thats there is so many facets of the car that are good..its hard to find another car that does so much,even though the e34 makes you pay in so many ways too...
    You're not wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    what - you have a new list? wanna see mine LOL?
    Hehehe - ok, lets go... The only thing left on the list is to get my powerflex's in... Here's my maintenance/service record though from the past 18 months- NOT EXHAUSTIVE by any stretch... Some of the regular things I can't be bothered noting! (Should post this in the 'list' thread really but hey... )

Maintenance type stuff...

o BMW Rear Subframe Bushes (147,000)
    o Leather Seat/Centre Console Upgrade (147,000)
    o Fuel Line repair (148,000)
    o Rear Sway-bar Links (150,000)
    o Rear Brake Pads/Discs (150,000)
    o Rear Pitman Arms (150,000)
    o Front Sway-bar Links (151,000)
    o Lower Control Arm – Balljoints + Bushes (151,000)
    o Track Rods [Whole Assemblies] (151,000)
    o Mid-Exhaust Rubber Mountings (151,000)
    o Front Brake Discs/Pads (151,000)
    o Thrust Arms – Balljoints + Bushes (152,000)
    o Water Hoses (152,000)
    o Aluminium Hub Rings (152,000)
    o BMW Rear Shock Mountings
    (152,000)
    o BMW Drivebelts (x2) (153,000)
    o BMW Drivebelt Tensioner (alternator) (153,000)
    o Exhaust Backbox Mounting (153,000)
    o Thrust Arm (whole n/side) (154,000)
    o Thermostat (154,000)
    o Water Pump (154,000)
    o Fuel Lines & Brackets [Tank overflow lines front & back] (154,000)
    o E.A.T Chip Fitted (154,000)
    o New Clutch (whole kit) (154,000)
    o Guibo/Flex disc (154,000)
    o Transmission Rubber Mounts (154,000)
    o Radiator replacement [NISSENS] (155,000)
    o Front Bilstein Sport Shocks (155,000)
    o Front strut mounts (155,000)
    o Upper and Lower Control arm with bush upgrades (750iL&m5).(155,000)
    o Fuel pipe (front of fuel filter) (156,000)
    o Engine Mounts (156,000)
    o Alternator V-belt replacement (156,000)
    o Lower Radiator hose (156,000)*
    o New Valve Cover Gasket/Nuts (157,000)
    o POWERFLEX Thrust arm bushes (SOON)
    + Exhaust backbox rear mountings (157,000)

Servicey type stuff...

o Oil/Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs (147,000)
    o Full bodywork wax (147,000)
    o Oil (Magnatec)/Filter (151,000)
    o Full bodywork Wax (151,000)
    o Coolant Change (OE) (152,000)
    o Redex Fuel system treatment (154,000)
    o Coolant Change (154,000)
    o Handbrake Adjustment (154,000)
    o Paint touch-up [official BMW paint stick & Lacquer] (154,000)
    o ICV cleaned with Carburettor cleaner (154,000)
    o Full bodywork wax (154,000)
    o AFM adjustment ½ turn clockwise (155,000)
    o Crank Position Sensor cleaned (155,000)
    o Vacuum hoses and Intake gaskets checked for leaks. (155,000)
    o Oil (Magnatec) (155,000)
    o Full bodywork detailing [Clay Barring + Glans-Wax] and alloy wheel wax (155,000)
    o Valve Timing Adjusted [0.28mm] (156,000)
    o Coolant Change (OE) (156,000)
    o Full Leather Reconditioning with Grison Leather Balm (156,000)
    o Laser Tracking + Wheel Balance (156,000)

o Full bodywork wax (147,000)
    o Full bodywork Wax (151,000)
    o Full bodywork wax (154,000)
    o Full bodywork detailing [Clay Barring + Glans-Wax] and alloy wheel wax (155,000)

o Crank Position Sensor cleaned (155,000)

wow - i've put 8,oookm on mine so far and haven't waxed her yet. but i'm waiting for the rust to go away first. (i'm hoping it'll just go away by itself )

wait - you can clean the CPS???? damn - i just ordered one. what do you clean it with - contact cleaner?

BMWs aren't called BMWs here by the french-speakers, they are affectionately referred to as "B M"s (pronounced bay-EHM) anyway i was getting out of the car at a large family-oriented softball tournament yesterday and this 5 yr old grabbed his dad's sleeve rather urgently and screamed "pa, pa, 'garde [look], un bm, UN B M !!!" that was kind of cute but it got me thinking there must be something about bimmers that naturally appeals to people, and maybe that's why we all go nuts for them.

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    wow - i've put 8,oookm on mine so far and haven't waxed her yet. but i'm waiting for the rust to go away first. (i'm hoping it'll just go away by itself )

wait - you can clean the CPS???? damn - i just ordered one. what do you clean it with - contact cleaner?

BMWs aren't called BMWs here by the french-speakers, they are affectionately referred to as "B M"s (pronounced bay-EHM) anyway i was getting out of the car at a large family-oriented softball tournament yesterday and this 5 yr old grabbed his dad's sleeve rather urgently and screamed "pa, pa, 'garde [look], un bm, UN B M !!!" that was kind of cute but it got me thinking there must be something about bimmers that naturally appeals to people, and maybe that's why we all go nuts for them.
    Hehehe I like that story. I think our cars do look special even to the untrained eye!

I ws chasing my very rough idle for a period (sorted now yey!) so I looked into everything.... The CPS was literally black with some sort of dusty crap- I was going to change it but when I priced it up I changed my mind and I hadn't had any trouble starting so I just got underneather, undone the hex bolt (female) that holds it on and removed it. Then I just gave it a good rub down with a clean rag and it shined up like new!

I've actually waxed it a LOT more times thanI put on there, probably too many. I worry about the paint with the wet climate we have here and rust etc. LOL - I wish it would disappear too! I'm lucky as I only have one small patch of it near the fuel filler, but it bugs me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast