GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anyone sucessfully rehab the floorboard/Gas Pedal Interface?

Default Anyone sucessfully rehab the floorboard/Gas Pedal Interface?

My floorboard around where the base of the Accelerator Pedal mates has finally rotted away so much the pedal now goes thru the floor and rests on the exhaust pipe I have a friend who has a pop riveter and some other metal bending /grinding stuff offering to help but looking at the pedal I see it has two tabs projecting front and back which must need to be fit under maybe a metal sandwich strip perhaps. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how to do this best since with everything rotted away I can't reference the original configuration.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Can't help with the positioning part, but please don't pop rivet anything like that. You've done so much for your car that it deserves a proper repair. Metal should be welded in place, not riveted. If you do want to get this fixed properly, locate a scrap car and cut out part of its floor board. then have this portion welded into your existing floorboard. this way you'll have a good shot of getting it right and having good metal there. of course, you'll need to primer/paint/seal etc. to prevent corrosion in the future. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Rus View Post
    Can't help with the positioning part, but please don't pop rivet anything like that. You've done so much for your car that it deserves a proper repair. Metal should be welded in place, not riveted. If you do want to get this fixed properly, locate a scrap car and cut out part of its floor board. then have this portion welded into your existing floorboard. this way you'll have a good shot of getting it right and having good metal there. of course, you'll need to primer/paint/seal etc. to prevent corrosion in the future. HTH

I do agree. This friend also owns the company with which I contract work so he has an agenda in offering this help. He wants me available for him. I know of a local Restoration shop who specializes in BMW and other old German cars who I will ask if he can source such a scrap car and do it right. I do not want this to be a half assed ,Micky mouse job that will require redoing in a year or so.. economic necessity may though force me to take the stop gap measure which while not the proper course is reversible . If i had the cash on hand to give this car absolutely everything it requires to be 100% I'd probably have another car to drive while I have this beauty restored..Your contribution to my situation is much appreciated.

Cutting a section from another car would be an easier way.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Cutting a section from another car would be an easier way.
    Since I have no welding equipment and no place to keep a junk donor car I am forced to have a body resoration shop do it. If they are able to do that I'll make the suggestion. It looks like the two opposing tabs on the base of the pedal were fitted on the underside of the floorboard and so access to that area will neccesitate the dropping of the exhaust from the header,maybe the crossmember and all the steering arms as well. I anticipate a hefty bill, if i can get it done for under $2k i'd be surprised.

$2k, are you serious?
    You can buy a welder, a parts car, storage and a welding class for that much $$.
    You were talking about pop riveting a patch in place when you initially asked. My suggestion was to use a piece cut from another car rather than try to duplicate a complicated stamping. Cut out the old section pop rivet the "new" piece in it's place. You're in, you're out and no one gets hurt.
    I'll speculate that this isn't the only rusty spot on the car so a quick and dirty, but effective, repair is all that makes financial sense.
    DISCLAIMER: This prceedure may result in scratches on certain componenets.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I initially said my friend ,who wanted me to be available fearing I;d put my car in a body shop for a week wanted to do the pop rivent quickie patch with a sheet of metal from Home Depot. I have been referred to a shop. I am bracing myself with that high figure. I really have no time to drive all over creation to find a donor car from which I can excize a section of floorboard . Sorry to be so unadventuresome but If I had a yard and or a garage allowing me a place to keep and store all these items it'd be another story.. I want it done well so I will seek a professional's help.