GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant and Plastic fatigue... Nice example...

Default Coolant and Plastic fatigue... Nice example...

Driving to work yesterday, I start to smell coolant in the vents inside... Looking at my temp gage, I can see it starting to creep up slowly towards the red zone... Turn to a side street and shut off the engine... Sure enough, the upper radiator plastic fitting snapped, like something ate thru it...

I tried to put the hose back on what was left but no way, not enough meat there... Damn it, I just came back from my fifth tow truck ride...

Looking at the picture, does anybody have any idea if I can fix this. It would be a shame to throw it all away, the rest of the radiator is in good shape... As a bonus, the tranny cooler had to be emptied too...... Another trip under the car to top it off...

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Montreal525; 08-30-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    I prefer to be misunderstood rather than having to explain myself all the time...

I've never had any luck in my attempts to use epoxy or other glue to fix something like this. Sorry.

You can try JB Weld, sometimes it could work if left to dry properly. But your best bet IS to get a new radiator before it happens again.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god View Post
    You can try JB Weld, sometimes it could work if left to dry properly. But your best bet IS to get a new radiator before it happens again.
    i used duck tape once on an old dodge van, but that was an old dodge van - and it only lasted the ride home.

i see a thread about this every month it seems - i can't imagine how one could possibly prepare for it, you can hardly keep a spare radiator in the trunk just in case. i agree it would suck to junk a radiator because of a bad pipe - anyone think there is a way to reinforce this weak spot?

After i blew a hose a couple of months back i changed my water pump, belt , thermostat , aux fan , and coolant then that very same thing happen to my radiator after the work was done grrr.. since it's cheaper i bought a nissin brand rad.

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

mine has copper sleeve in it and the stopper ridge removed so the hose can be clamped further in... but for only $158 it just makes sense to replace it.

Look on the picture... when you try to push the hose back over you probably find that the plastic protrusion at the top stops you getting it on - you should be able to file this down enough to get the pipe further on...

Another member of the forum give me this idea when mine went - apologies as I can't remember who for the life of me.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

find an industrial radiator shop and let them make the plastic parts replace by aluminium, that never breaks, here a sample we installed. They just need the old plastic to measure and copy.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...t=alu+radiator

I wouldn't want to go through the trouble to fix it and then the thing breaks again. If it broke here, most likely other part of the radiator might be just as bad. Replacement radiator doesn't cost much so you should just change it. Also, you don't have to empty tranny cooler when you replace radiator. Just tie rubber glove finger over the tube and leave it point up.

Quote Originally Posted by Montreal525 View Post
    Driving to work yesterday, I start to smell coolant in the vents inside... Looking at my temp gage, I can see it starting to creep up slowly towards the red zone... Turn to a side street and shut off the engine... Sure enough, the upper radiator plastic fitting snapped, like something ate thru it...

I tried to put the hose back on what was left but no way, not enough meat there... Damn it, I just came back from my fifth tow truck ride...

Looking at the picture, does anybody have any idea if I can fix this. It would be a shame to throw it all away, the rest of the radiator is in good shape... As a bonus, the tranny cooler had to be emptied too...... Another trip under the car to top it off...

Jeff
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

my car runs on hatred, it doesn't need coolant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast