GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OT: Drove a 850i today....rather disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by sneekens View Post
    I would have 2nd thoughts on giving you the key... Not impressed with the 850i???? Where they even impressed with your TOURING??? I thought you're eying an engine swap to your TOURING???

A nice example of an 850CSI. Yes its old, but runs strong! After watching the video, its making me want one... DROOL
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1rcOtt...eature=related

I was eyeing an engine swap, but it turned out to be a much more daunting task swapping from different manufactures.....the thing that really scared me was the wiring....I was going to have an engine and and speedo...nothing else electrical unless re-wiring the whole car to work with the new harness.

Who exactly are you talking about being impressed with my Touring....again...I believe I mentioned this in other posts, I modded my touring to the way I like, not the way other driver's like, otherwise it wouldn't be different...

RockJock: Engine was at full operating temperature before passing 3000rpm. Car had 103xxx kms

yaofang: The touring is only slightly slower than the 850 at speed. And the touring had half the amount of cylinders and have the displacement and more wieght....that's why the 850 was disappointing.

tim: Check your pms

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

I've driven a continental GT, a car built in somewhat the same spirit as the 850 (by that I mean a grand tourer, granted not much more in common) and despite its massive twin turbo (I think V12) the car didn't feel particularly fast. Now, without a doubt it was fast, but a 325is FEELS faster. As far as acceleration and a car being 20 lengths ahead, the last generation accord V6 6-speed manual sedan (yes they made it) did 0-60 in around 6.5, which is roughly as fast as a CSi, which had a significantly more powerful engine and a 6-speed manual transmission. Just like my 535iA gets beat easily by V6 sonata, an 850i would undoubtably get beaten by the 335i, a car known for having more power than BMW claims and beating E46 M3s when chipped. The last generation GMC Yukon Denali does 0-60 in 7 seconds.. the average car today is simply a lot faster than what was around 20 years ago. The 850iA is a great car to drive, and has power to keep overtake people on highways, but there are few races it would win compared to most new cars over 20k (maybe even less) sold in the states.

And, not to be annoying as I do respect the work you did on your touring and admire the skill with which completed it, but you're being very mysterious about what happened to the touring.. deciding not to do an engine swap certainly won't make it so you can never drive the car again. You have been alluding to something being wrong but, unless I've missed something, you haven't said what actually happen.. trying not to judge but its just a little sketchy..

The car was technically my dads but he had given it to me and I'm the one who spent all the money fixing the car/upgrading/repair except for the paint and body work.

After this it gets kind of complicated with my mom not wanting me to drive the car because it technically wasnt mine. Just take my word for it, the car is fine except the transmission needs to be replaced, the rear shocks need replacing, the rear subframe needs replacing and the exhaust has to made quieter.

I want to do the engine swap because I would have the tranny, harness, pedals and everything else that would go with the swap because I had a complete car and the tranny was already fried and I wanted to put in a M50 or at least bolt on a small turbo.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

reading this topic makes me wanna comment....

bad-manners....

i think you expected too much from 850i. that's the sort of car you wanna cruise in, enjoy the v12 sound and luxurity it is equipped with. it's not a racecar, tho i agree it sucks that it had an oil leak after hitting vmax.

Not meaning to restart a thread for more bashing, but I didn't see it before from life kicking my butt and just saw it from searching for other things.

I got the chance to drive an 850i on PA back country roads, 0-100-0 ... it put a huge smile on my face and still does, but it was a 6spd. I wouldn't even consider an auto. That was a fun car and for as big as it was, it handled nicely. I also Love the look ... classic! The part that would suck is the cost of feeding it.

Sorry for the thread revival, but that car is sweet.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345