GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Drove a 850i today....rather disappointed

Then there's the Alpina B12 5.7 Coupe based on the 850 CSi (fastest car Alpina ever made) that would spank the 335i above 200kph..6 speed Getrag manual, 416bhp and 560Nm.

Sadly, they only built 57 of these; they still go for $60K+, there's a guy in N.Y. that has a stunning example....

here's one from Europe...
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=accCyIoTRJI
    Last edited by RockJock; 08-20-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Disappointed.....phhht. Let's see, hmm, you had no intentions and I'll guess no means to buy it anyway. Only out of desperation and ignorance to how much damage a foolish kid with a lead foot can do to a car like that would some crummy third tier car lot let a punk even drive the thing.
    WTF made you buy a 525 touring? The 850 is an absolute friggin' rocket ship by comparison to that.
    I've resisted jumping on your case for a long time but you continue to ask for it, now you've got it. Few here are impressed with your exploits. Someone like you took away several family members years ago before you were even born. By doing the same stupid **** you brag about. Grow up before you have to live with something like that.
    The work you did to your touring, although contrary to the taste of most here, is also beyond the ability of most here, myself included. You will better far served honing your skills rather than trying dumb stunts. An 850? Do you know what grand touring means?

RIP touring? What was it's fate?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    i know but the regular v12 does have good torque figures and is not as bad as all that
    300 hp (DIN) or 296 hp (SAE) at 5,200 rpm and 332 lb/ft at 4,100 rpm is pretty good.!
    but comparable to a similar-size V8 - that is what always disappointed me about the bmw v12.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    but comparable to a similar-size V8 - that is what always disappointed me about the bmw v12.
    true...
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    Yea some truth. The M60s did come years later so there is more modern development there. What I have noticed is the torque curve of the V12. Solid and flat. The other thing is with some massaging more power gains are made with the V12 compared to the V8. Chips(2), honed intake, and even (optional) Csi cams, it really wakes it up. Gobs of torque from idle all the way up with the HP to back it up. With the 850i age, cats are another great upgrade. I have heard an M70 sound like a Ferrari with cats deleted and good exhaust....hehe it was a mean sound that had the perfect V12 resonance.

The best characteristic I like from the M70 is it never feels like it is struggling in any rpms. I attribute this to how there is so much potential awaiting (or just that it's a solid engine). This also makes it dangerous with speeding tickets. Add the higher speedometer, it takes some getting use to for staying at legal speeds.

I grew up with an 850i since my father purchased one new in 1992. When I get the chance to get in the drivers seat nowadays, I am just impressed how the drive doesn't wear me out like in an e34. It is even more relaxing than my e39. There is also less power loss at higher temps from what I observe. However, if I am on the highway, it doesn't kick, it surges like a plane. Smooth - flat torque pushes it up in the triple digits with ease. No drama. No fuss. What do you get when you join 2 legendary BMW I6 engines?...you get an even better engine, lol.
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J View Post
    Yea some truth. The M60s did come years later so there is more modern development there. What I have noticed is the torque curve of the V12. Solid and flat. The other thing is with some massaging more power gains are made with the V12 compared to the V8. Chips(2), honed intake, and even (optional) Csi cams, it really wakes it up. Gobs of torque from idle all the way up with the HP to back it up. With the 850i age, cats are another great upgrade. I have heard an M70 sound like a Ferrari with cats deleted and good exhaust....hehe it was a mean sound that had the perfect V12 resonance.

The best characteristic I like from the M70 is it never feels like it is struggling in any rpms. I attribute this to how there is so much potential awaiting (or just that it's a solid engine). This also makes it dangerous with speeding tickets. Add the higher speedometer, it takes some getting use to for staying at legal speeds.

I grew up with an 850i since my father purchased one new in 1992. When I get the chance to get in the drivers seat nowadays, I am just impressed how the drive doesn't wear me out like in an e34. It is even more relaxing than my e39. There is also less power loss at higher temps from what I observe. However, if I am on the highway, it doesn't kick, it surges like a plane. Smooth - flat torque pushes it up in the triple digits with ease. No drama. No fuss. What do you get when you join 2 legendary BMW I6 engines?...you get an even better engine, lol.
    v12's are notorious for their smooth power delivery, as well as a smooth idle - much easier to balance a coin on the top of a v12 engine than a V8. The same can be said for an inline six

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J View Post

yes the torque plus that turbine like smoothness is uncanny...very underated somehow...its funny isnt it that the M70 was released before the m60...
    Gone but not forgotten

agreed with Brandon, the chips are the whip on response and play. These ain't no race cars so don't expect a 7.5 second quarter mile time. Give them the road and cruise at 150 for a bit, you will know what the car was originally designed for. As for keeping up with a twin turboed ricer, put your chips in and run him the long stretch, doubt he can compete 150+MPH bro.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

do not mix everything up. You were driving a M70B50 engine, the 850 has some additional engines as mentioned by Paul before, such as M73B54,
    S70B56. But the E31 is a GT, no racer.

After that, driving normally, some check engine light comes on and the OBC says" OVERHEAT CATALYST".
    That is a japanese speciality. All japanese cars and imports needed on a cat a temperature sensor and it gives an alarm when a certain temperature is exceeded. In my 750 that relay is under the rear seat. But that sensor and the relay are not connected to the DME's or EML. Just an alarm to warn that the cat is super hot.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_8_Series
    I feel sorry for that car that you test it in such a way. This is not a race car and I hope you are not Ronny Ramjet.

I can't see what you guys think he's done wrong. I doubt there's one person on this forum that hasn't done similar in their own car... WOT is not a crime!

I think Ross says it best - "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it wasn't meant to be there".
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast