GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: emisions and a EAT chip

Default emisions and a EAT chip

Hello,
    I just took my 95 540i through emisions on saturday and I failed everything but the gas cap test lol. I didnt think about it but could be the EAT chip causing this? The car has always done rather well with it came to this before I installed the new chip. So I ask this before I open the ECU up again and re-install the factory chip. Thanks in advance as I know with all all the knowledge in this place and all the EAT chips running somebody will have an answer for me.
    Thanks
    Johan

I chip shouldn't affect the emission, as long as you are running high octane gas. I took my 535i all tricked out to the emission test and it passed perfectly. (Many people have the EAT chip when they go to the e-test).

I would suspenct bad cats maybe... The 540i seems to burn cats and O2 sensor rather quickly, good thing that it is easy to change.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    I chip shouldn't affect the emission, as long as you are running high octane gas. I took my 535i all tricked out to the emission test and it passed perfectly. (Many people have the EAT chip when they go to the e-test).

I would suspenct bad cats maybe... The 540i seems to burn cats and O2 sensor rather quickly, good thing that it is easy to change.
    Thanks Bruno, I didnt think the chip would cause this. So many people have them and love them it would have come up before now. Do you know if there are good cats and bad cats? I mean is a cat a cat or should I be looking for a special brand etc. I know when I bought the car one of the cats had a large crease in it like something had hit it rather hard. I have also heard a rattle from under the car that I thought was one of the cats.
    Thanks
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by h2oyo View Post
    Thanks Bruno, I didnt think the chip would cause this. So many people have them and love them it would have come up before now. Do you know if there are good cats and bad cats? I mean is a cat a cat or should I be looking for a special brand etc. I know when I bought the car one of the cats had a large crease in it like something had hit it rather hard. I have also heard a rattle from under the car that I thought was one of the cats.
    Thanks
    Johan

It is pretty straight forward to change on the 540i, you might also change the O2 sensors while you are at it. Don't forget to order the exhaust gaskets also.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

I failed with the EAT chip, just over limit on one emission, can't remember which one. Swapped in factory chip and sailed right through. This happened both times I have had to have it inspected. Once every 2 years in NJ, each state is different as far as limits go.

I would try swapping chips before spending any money on CATS and O2 sensors, then if it fails, grab your wallet. Make sure plugs and air filters are good, run the motor some (50 miles or so)after swapping chips to let ECU re-adjust.

I am by no means an expert on this, just relating what worked for me....mine's a 525, your results may vary...

Thanks everyone, I will look at changing the cats but being as I do have the stock chip it cant hurt to try that also. The plugs maybe original I dont know so I will change them out also before I go through again. I've wanted to do this but just havent wanted to mess with the AZ heat after work. The car runs great smooth the city mileage is around 16 MPG. I thought that not bad being I drive mostly only in the city. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks
    Johan

I have the EAT chip in my 92 525 for about eight years now. Have always passed emission in California.

Just did Ontario e-test with my 540/6 and Mark's chip -- well below the limits.

Cheers
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by h2oyo View Post
    Hello,
    I just took my 95 540i through emisions on saturday and I failed everything but the gas cap test lol. I didnt think about it but could be the EAT chip causing this? The car has always done rather well with it came to this before I installed the new chip. So I ask this before I open the ECU up again and re-install the factory chip. Thanks in advance as I know with all all the knowledge in this place and all the EAT chips running somebody will have an answer for me.
    Thanks
    Johan

Hi Johan,

can you post your emission test results?
    If the car passes with a good margin with a stock chip, it should pass with one of my chips. I have heard of very few cases where a car failed, and when it did it was close to failing even without the chip. How old are the cats? They may need replacement. And which chip do you have?

MarkD

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT View Post
    Just did Ontario e-test with my 540/6 and Mark's chip -- well below the limits.

Cheers
    Duey

Hi Duey,

are youi going to be in Toronto anytime soon? I hae a new version of the 540 chip that I developed about a year ago, you may want to try it out. I also have a 93 octane version.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast