GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Quick 'Q' about fuel hose...

Default Quick 'Q' about fuel hose...

Got a leaking fuel hose - it's the one that goes from the fuel filter towards the front of the car, and it's a cloth hose if you know what I mean... It's not really bad yet - but looking to get it sorted tomorrow.

Question is - What's the score with the cloth style hose, is it any different really than the normal kind or is it more reinforced or whatever? Can I replace it with a 'normal' fuel hose providing it's the same internal diameter?

I ask incase I can't get hold of the exact hose from the dealer quick enough, as I want to replace it asao as it's staining the driveway!
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

The fuel pump is in the tank and pressurises the fuel line (including fuel filter) to about 50 psi. Make sure whatever hose you get is rated for that sort of pressure.

I suspect that there is also an unpressurised fuel return line back to the tank. This wouldn't need to handle much pressure. You don't want this sort of hose!

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    Got a leaking fuel hose - it's the one that goes from the fuel filter towards the front of the car, and it's a cloth hose if you know what I mean... It's not really bad yet - but looking to get it sorted tomorrow.

Question is - What's the score with the cloth style hose, is it any different really than the normal kind or is it more reinforced or whatever? Can I replace it with a 'normal' fuel hose providing it's the same internal diameter?

I ask incase I can't get hold of the exact hose from the dealer quick enough, as I want to replace it asao as it's staining the driveway!
    Buy fuel hose from the local factors and it will be fine. If you buy stuff that looks like garden hose, it probably will be that -and will rot. And you know all about those 'special' fuel hose clips already dont you?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

its easy - when you buy hose it'll say fuel injection hose or not. if not, don't buy it, as it'll only handle 15 psi or so.

I got all my flexi fuel pipes from Pirtek, who are a national hydraulic component retailer. Take a bit of old pipe in and they'll sell you a few metres of tubing that'll handle well above the pressures used in a car. These are the guys who come out and repair busted fork lift hydraulics etc so they know what they're doing. They make ends up too, so if you ever need new steering pipes or oil cooler lines go to them and they'll sort it out. By the way I have nothing to do with them, I'm just a satisfied customer lol!

HTH,

Shaun M

Thanks guys, luckily enough BMW has the hose in so I'm heading down now. £12.81 - they better be giving me a mile of the stuff!

Oh and I'm getting some FUEL HOSE clamps...

You would have got about 10 metres from Pirtek for that lol!

SORTED!

Just put anew hose on now - didn't hit any snags which makes a change! Ended up getting it fro free from BMW - they sell it in 1m sections and there was approx 2.5m left so he threw me the .5m for free seen as I'm a 'regular'!!!!

Can't argue with that...