GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Is it possible to see Camry fault codes using BMW-like procedure

Default Is it possible to see Camry fault codes using BMW-like procedure

I've used the stomp test before to have the instrument panel lights flash the codes in my 1991 535i. My 1997 Toyota Camry V-6 is having some problems with dying upon a hot restart. I was wondering if there was a similar procedure for pulling the stored fault codes from the Camry computer without requiring one of the code readers that plugs into the electrical port located under the hood. Any info or links to sites that might offer some help would be greatly appreciated.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Default Not for 97, its obdII and toyota made no provisions for code checking without a scan

tool... The readers are getting very affordable nowdays ... you may want to consider buying one or take it to the nearest autozone, checkers, advance auto.. they all have the tools and checkers has it as a loaner. Autozone will scan it for codes and tell you what comes up... Stand there and watch though and write down all the codes yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    I've used the stomp test before to have the instrument panel lights flash the codes in my 1991 535i. My 1997 Toyota Camry V-6 is having some problems with dying upon a hot restart. I was wondering if there was a similar procedure for pulling the stored fault codes from the Camry computer without requiring one of the code readers that plugs into the electrical port located under the hood. Any info or links to sites that might offer some help would be greatly appreciated.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Default Bill, is it possible for codes to be stored if the check engine light isn't on???

I actually did stop by Autozone on Saturday to have them pull the codes. I told him that the car had been dying and that I'd like to have them check it for codes. But when he asked if the check engine light was on and I said no, he said he could not check it because he would get no codes. Is that true? Does the check engine light only come on and stay on in OBD II if there is a code stored? If that is true and I have no stored codes, do you have any suggestions as to why the car is dying upon hot startup? This afternoon, it died about 3 times after we'd been on the interstate for an hour and stopped to eat. I haven't really looked around under the hood of the Camry to see what components it uses, but the symptoms today sure seemed to point to a bad throttle positioner or idle bypass valve. I mean it did not even try to keep running after I started it. I'm going to have to get it figured out soon though. If it strands my wife somewhere, it won't be a good situation.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Default nope thats not true, obdII can store codes and not have the light on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    I actually did stop by Autozone on Saturday to have them pull the codes. I told him that the car had been dying and that I'd like to have them check it for codes. But when he asked if the check engine light was on and I said no, he said he could not check it because he would get no codes. Is that true? Does the check engine light only come on and stay on in OBD II if there is a code stored? If that is true and I have no stored codes, do you have any suggestions as to why the car is dying upon hot startup? This afternoon, it died about 3 times after we'd been on the interstate for an hour and stopped to eat. I haven't really looked around under the hood of the Camry to see what components it uses, but the symptoms today sure seemed to point to a bad throttle positioner or idle bypass valve. I mean it did not even try to keep running after I started it. I'm going to have to get it figured out soon though. If it strands my wife somewhere, it won't be a good situation.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i