GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: time i looked at the hood... ewwwww

Default time i looked at the hood... ewwwww

do i just need the rubber hood-stops or do i need to bend the hood back into shape first? or is it worse than i think? please pardon the rust - i figure i'll bend first and paint after... if it's doable... planning on replacing the lock and cable too but they work pretty good i think the spring in the lock is pretty old, like 20 years old. thanks guys, i'll run out of questions one day.. edit:... i hope...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 525i winter driver; 07-31-2008 at 01:37 PM.

need better pictures of the front right side, kinda looks like the fender is off but cant really tell. The front latch is adjustable to raise and lower the position, might give you a better idea how much you will need to beat whatnot... idonno LOL
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    need better pictures of the front right side, kinda looks like the fender is off but cant really tell. The front latch is adjustable to raise and lower the position, might give you a better idea how much you will need to beat whatnot... idonno LOL
    thanks for looking i guess it's kind of hard to tell from photos. i went out and played around for a bit ... don't quite have it yet but i am getting the hang of it - i think my problem is more to do with the guides towards the windshield which i have been 'adjusting' with a block of wood and a hammer, although changing the front latch height is also helping. i'm pretty sure i'll be left with the overbite in the end but i'll give that a bash once the hood is better positioned.

not sure but don't think closing it on a wooden leg is the best method. Mine is off slightly but I'm a perfectionist of sorts and only adjusted the front height thingies. The rear by the windshield don't look to be adjustable but I am sure there is some way of making things right. Maybe I will look into this tomorrow and shoot you an update.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 08-03-2008 at 01:12 AM. Reason: aixelsyD
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    not sure but don't think closing it on a wooden leg is the best method. Mine is off slightly but I'm a perfectionist of sorts and only adjusted the front height thingies. The rear by the windshield don't look to be adjustable but I am sure there is some way of making things right. Maybe I will look into this tomorrow and shoot you an update.
    i'm getting there - the rears are adjustable... both the roller supports on the hood itself and the runners in the engine compartment are adjustable - there is some info in the bentley but i'm finding realoem to be more helpful.
    i think my main problem actually is the runner on the ps is too low and the guide whell is slipping off it just before it closes - it's hard to tell i have to play around. i just need to get the plastic mesh off without breaking it (looks like the po already got to the driver side... sigh....) and then i think i can pull the runner up. the roller supports are the ones i've been banging on, you can loosen the bolts (works like a door latch) but on mne it still needs some hammering to move it.
    no matter what i do i'm pretty sure i'll be left with the overbite... i'm speaking with my ortho but he says he doesn't do rust, so i guess i'll have to keep the hammer handy...

Quote Originally Posted by 525i winter driver View Post
    i'm getting there - the rears are adjustable... both the roller supports on the hood itself and the runners in the engine compartment are adjustable - there is some info in the bentley but i'm finding realoem to be more helpful.
    i think my main problem actually is the runner on the ps is too low and the guide whell is slipping off it just before it closes - it's hard to tell i have to play around. i just need to get the plastic mesh off without breaking it (looks like the po already got to the driver side... sigh....) and then i think i can pull the runner up. the roller supports are the ones i've been banging on, you can loosen the bolts (works like a door latch) but on mne it still needs some hammering to move it.
    no matter what i do i'm pretty sure i'll be left with the overbite... i'm speaking with my ortho but he says he doesn't do rust, so i guess i'll have to keep the hammer handy...
    The roller's are held down by 2 bolts. 1 is an adjuster and the other one just holds it in place under the mesh your trying to remove.

You can get the bolt off without taking off the mesh. Get a 1/4 Ratchet with a small extenstion and a 10mm socket. Take off the fuse cover and wiggle your hand in and feel the bolt. Then just get your ratchet and find a wierd angle.

Or you could take off the mesh...if it looks like it's going to break, just break the clips off and put new ones in...

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god View Post
    The roller's are held down by 2 bolts. 1 is an adjuster and the other one just holds it in place under the mesh your trying to remove.

You can get the bolt off without taking off the mesh. Get a 1/4 Ratchet with a small extenstion and a 10mm socket. Take off the fuse cover and wiggle your hand in and feel the bolt. Then just get your ratchet and find a wierd angle.

Or you could take off the mesh...if it looks like it's going to break, just break the clips off and put new ones in...
    nice 1 dude - actually the rear end of the runner is adjustable too - made a big difference... i think it's as close as it's going to get now without bashing it, which i'll do on a really hot sunny day when i'm good and ready and the schwarz is nice and warm. thanks guys!

like the man says...