GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: help!!temp. gauge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default help!!temp. gauge

my temp gauge just died, at first the problem comes and goes esp. when i hit pot holes but now it just does not work.. i bought a new temp.sensor it worked for about an hour then temp guage just went 0. I was thinking about capacitors but only the temp does not work..i tried the cluster self check the temp guage moves...any idea guys?thanks

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8 View Post
    my temp gauge just died, at first the problem comes and goes esp. when i hit pot holes but now it just does not work.. i bought a new temp.sensor it worked for about an hour then temp guage just went 0. I was thinking about capacitors but only the temp does not work..i tried the cluster self check the temp guage moves...any idea guys?thanks
    I havent looked at a wiring diagram but normally temp sensors are just a variable resistor that's temp sensitive and sits between the circuit end and ground. You just get one wire going to it. So if you ground the wire, you should get full deflection on the guage. If you dont I'd say the guage is stuffed. But unless they are shorted guages are pretty damn reliable so I'd be looking for a wiring fault somewhere before ripping it out.

Check the connection to the sensor. My temperature gauge acted strange when the connector got oxidized. Cleaned up and applied dielectric grease and the issue went away. Worth a look and costs nearly nothing to fix if its the problem.

ill try to clean the connector with contact cleaner thanks for the input guys ill get back with you guys after.

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs

Quote Originally Posted by Rus View Post
    Check the connection to the sensor. My temperature gauge acted strange when the connector got oxidized. Cleaned up and applied dielectric grease and the issue went away. Worth a look and costs nearly nothing to fix if its the problem.
    i cleaned the connection with contact cleaner, so far it holding up ok thanks for advice guys

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8 View Post
    i cleaned the connection with contact cleaner, so far it holding up ok thanks for advice guys
    You're the second person I've come across that has had this type of temperature gauge problem and fixed it with a simple cleaning. I'm starting to think this is a common issue :-p Glad its working again. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rus View Post
    You're the second person I've come across that has had this type of temperature gauge problem and fixed it with a simple cleaning. I'm starting to think this is a common issue :-p Glad its working again. Cheers!
    my temp gauge was flakey a few years ago,mine was fixed merely by unplugging and replugging in again....I guess that does enough to clean the connectors to the sensors!
    Gone but not forgotten