GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNG Conversion Kit

Default CNG Conversion Kit

Hey all.. After spending $200 last 2 weeks only on gas driving to work i'm ready to consider different options...

I would love to have an electric car, but its a very expensive and complex conversion.. Engine mounts, battery mounts, some sort of interface with the transmission, ect... I think an electric conversion with decent range would be $8,000 - $10,000. The motor alone is $2,000. Anyway...

CNG is much easier to do. I have been looking for CNG conversion kits online but really have not been able to find much... This is the best I had found so far:
    http://www.ewsews.com/cnghome.html

The price is right, I think it would be about ~$1500 with everything.

Does their product look legitimate?

I would appreciate any comments, links, or advice.

Quote Originally Posted by infurno View Post
    Hey all.. After spending $200 last 2 weeks only on gas driving to work i'm ready to consider different options...

I would love to have an electric car, but its a very expensive and complex conversion.. Engine mounts, battery mounts, some sort of interface with the transmission, ect... I think an electric conversion with decent range would be $8,000 - $10,000. The motor alone is $2,000. Anyway...

CNG is much easier to do. I have been looking for CNG conversion kits online but really have not been able to find much... This is the best I had found so far:
    http://www.ewsews.com/cnghome.html

The price is right, I think it would be about ~$1500 with everything.

Does their product look legitimate?

I would appreciate any comments, links, or advice.
    That's just the kit for 1500....you have to factor in the steel tank (800 + 100 shipping), The Valve(50), The mounting kit(???)

So in all it comes out to about 2000 if you go with the steel tank....if you go with the composite tank it's about 2600...

And these prices are if you buy before July 31st...After that, they go back up to regular pricing....which is about double.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god View Post
    That's just the kit for 1500....you have to factor in the steel tank (800 + 100 shipping), The Valve(50), The mounting kit(???)

So in all it comes out to about 2000 if you go with the steel tank....if you go with the composite tank it's about 2600...
    It said in bold red $799 for the 6 cylinder kit and $799 for the steel tank which comes down to $1,598 before shipping and anything else not included.. It would be wise to assume closer to $2,000 just in case.

And these prices are if you buy before July 31st...After that, they go back up to regular pricing....which is about double.
    Whats your point? Thats still a few days away.

Quote Originally Posted by infurno View Post
    It said in bold red $799 for the 6 cylinder kit and $799 for the steel tank which comes down to $1,598 before shipping and anything else not included.. It would be wise to assume closer to $2,000 just in case.

Whats your point? Thats still a few days away.
    Well, for some people, it's a lot to suddenly come up with 2000 in a few days...I'm not saying it's impossible either.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Well, for some people, it's a lot to suddenly come up with 2000 in a few days...I'm not saying it's impossible either.
    it's called a credit card

What range would that setup give you on CNG?
    I've had this system for LPG so it probably behaves the same.
    Don't underestimate the complexity of this system and the tuning involved.
    The venturi system is the cheapest but needs to be finely tuned and requires single pronged sparkplugs at 0.7mm gap to function at least decently. Then there's the fact that you just cannot floor it from standstill when taking off. Once you drive on gas this way you have to be a little more careful or you'll end up blowing **** up in your engine bay.
    That said, your engine should not be bothered much with this and it acually runs a little cleaner.
    Oh and don't put the venturi directly in front of the throttle butterfly or you'll have trouble with your idle. Right behind the AFM is easiest.
    Expect to lose a little power too, because the venturi restricts airflow a little.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Lpg = Cng.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    Lpg = Cng.
    No, it's not. LPG doesn't require the types of pressures you need for CNG because it becomes liquid when compressed. So LPG gives you more fuel in a tank than CNG for the same volume tank.
    Other than that it is indeed the same.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgenster View Post
    No, it's not. LPG doesn't require the types of pressures you need for CNG because it becomes liquid when compressed. So LPG gives you more fuel in a tank than CNG for the same volume tank.
    Other than that it is indeed the same.
    my mistake. in some countries, the terms are used interchangeably.

If you ever do an LPG/CNG install make sure you fit an anti-blowback valve in the system.

I nearly got my face blown off by a 540 with LPG and an air leak into the manifold...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast