GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help New Owner of a 525i 91'

Default Help New Owner of a 525i 91'

Tahoma
    Hi Everyone,
    New member to the forums and I wanna say hi to everyone.

Ok now my questions...I'm 17 and I just got a 525i 91' my dads old car...he just recently bought a new E320. So now I have a beemer and I gotta say I love this car. It handles soo well and its really fun to drive..but its kinda slow...and wellz I'm into nice fast cars...and I thinking you guys can help me get started.

Quick History:
    It had 140,000 miles, my dad installed some exhaust on it...he has no clue what kind...and thats about it...OH and a K&N filter, inside the box, he didn't switch it to the open cone filter. Car is Silver.

My Goals:
    MORE HP...doesn't everyone want it?
    HID kit....
    Style...definitely want to get new rims..and tires...I dunno about a body kit...Definitely want tint...I think the car's window has like a bluish tint to it...Definitely want HID lights.

My price range is well...let just say slim...I have about 3,000 saved up...and my dad will give me money...cuz instead of saving up to get a new car. I think i've decided to keep this car. So please guys give me your recommendations...I'd love to see where I can take this car too and how I can cruise in style and still maybe kick a few ppls asses while i'm at it. I know I left out specs and information you'll want...but I'm not a car pro...so please reply back with questions of things I have left out.

Thanks Again,

Boggie1688

Get EAT Chip for your HP craving... Definitely get HID headlight... And tinit is no problem... All this can be done for $1000...

I estimated $200 for EAT chip... $200 for real good tinting stuff (check your state laws on how dark you can go)... and $600 for HID kit with DEPO Euro Headlight since your original headlight is probably all pitted up.

Wheels? Check out Bekkers replica... they got real cool deep dish 16" cross spoke wheels for $165 each and get some nice tires to go with it... $1000 there also.

$2000 altogether.

Default Thanks for the reply...

Do you know where I can get some info on the chip? and rims? And where I can find a place to order them? Just for research sake...Thanks TIGER

Upgrade your chip
    Get rid of the exhaust if it isn't a BMW exhaust
    GET RID OF THE K&N crap.. it's worse than the BMW filter
    DO NOT 'upgrade' the spark plug cables, or spark plugs... go back to stock (no Bosch super 4 stuff... stick to NGKs)

Go to XenonValot.com for good AngelEye/HID kits for the E34. Although I suggest you read up on Danielsternslighting.com on HID vs. Halogen... you might be surprised. Let's just say, I'm sticking with Halogens.

Stick to 17" rims if you want faster acceleration... 18" and above start weighing that car down on start up... unless you can spring for racing rims which are half the weight of normal rims. And don't fill up the tank (track tip)

And visit bmwe34.net for more tips on how to soup up your ride. good luck and keep us posted!

LOL but my exhaust sound SIIICCK....all my buddies love it to death...its damn loud...and sounds hell nice...I'll go record the sound later and post it... Aites soo first i'll just get new sparks...and for the filter what do you recommend? I think I'll do the cheap simple mods first...like the new sparks, filter, and tint. Later I'll start doing lights and stuff....I'm not great under the hood...and I know if I bring it into the shop to get installed...it will cost me a fourtune! P.s. Danielsternslighting.com doesn't work...is it down? or did u spell it wrong?

sorry, correction on the link http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html ... no "s"

well, just to let you know, most (if not all) after market exhausts can reduce your output by about 2HP. Stick with stock. They aren't BMW for nothing. Schnitzer and Dinan MAY make a difference, but not by much. Not worth the cash unless you like the looks.

Headers are a good upgrade, but the exhaust of BMW is a lot better than most out there. Stick with the stock BMW filter as well, it's at least 2x better than K&N's best filters..IMO anyway.

If you can't go heavy on the engine mods... that's fine... then the best advice... STICK WITH STOCK BMW COMPONENTS!!!! They're the best you can get without modifying your engine a lot. If you can, get the M5 versions of the parts you intend to replace. The only basic upgrade really worth it then is a chip.

I'd like to quote a line in BMWE34.net that I really, really love regarding aftermarket parts ... "Sorry, but you don't have a Honda." ... stick with BMW parts, they're better than most aftermarket parts. There are very few aftermarket parts that are better (although it would depend on what you want it for)

Suspension is one..if you intend to track your car, or lower it... you'll have to go with Aftermarket springs and shocks... oh, and don't buy into the "You need a lowering shock to work with lowering springs!" crap. Stick with stock or Bilstein height shocks.

Anyway, most of the best E34 info can be found on bmwe34.net there isn't anything I needed to know that I didn't find on that site! the best one out there for the e34 and it gives very practical info. Read up there, and decide for yourself

Just to let you know, I'm running 18" even though I know they slow the car down cuz they look better. I'm also running stock shocks vs. Bilsteins cuz I prefer the softer ride. And I'm still deciding on the chip or not. Chipped engines run higher octane and isn't always available here so I've put that off.

These are MY choices... the basics (and more advanced) mods are all listed in the site. Hope you find what you're looking for! Look under "Recipe for power"

Added info...I was talking to my dad about the car...and the modds i wanna do..Hes fine with it...but he says theres a problem with the transmission. He says the seals are leaking fluid and there is some slippage...I'm guessin this is a major problem. Anyone know how much this is gunna cost me to fix? Should I replace the whole transmission? Stick with my auto or go stick? I like stick...but will it cost more than an auto? Help!

Hmmm... afaik, that just sounds like a basic gasket seal and clutch change. Whether or not there is a bigger problem, you won't know til you have it checked.

Now, I prefer stick as well... but the only way to know is whether you can find a decent stick lying around for a decent price.

First things first.

Make sure the car is in tip-top shape in every system.....like the tranny. Then think about your mods.

I'd leave the exhaust alone since it's already on there. $3000 can go quick. Get Mark D's chip for $179 or so. Make sure the brakes are in tip-top shape and the cooling system too. Check out the suspension as you may need thrust arms with new 750 bushings.

Next get the tint and tires/wheels. You have 15" wheels. Look for BMW....repeat...BMW wheels in 17". Ebay is a good spot but look through all the lists for sale stuff. As an example, BMW M5 turbines with tires sold for $666 a couple days ago in the LA area on eBay. That is one of the best E34 wheels with tires that would have lasted you a year.

By the time you have that done, you'll have your feet better on the ground. The most important thing is that the car be good for a "round" trip and be able to stop. A 525 is not a rocket but if you work at it you can set it up for world class handling and have a lot of fun. Just take it a little slower.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Default Lol

Yea...I don't expect this thing to rocket down the street and beat and of my friends cars.

I got home from school today and made a few phone calls to a few autoshops around my area...Most of them told me the change would roughly be 2000-3000...which I guess seems reasonable...my dad said he would help me out to pay for it. Plus I got a nice nice summer job...

I think I won't do anything to the car....until I figure out this transmission issue...If I keep my current one...its only a few hundred to fix the seals, your right jplacson. But stick is fun!

As for the coolant system...and the brakes...they seem fine...can you tell me how I would go about checking the systems? I'd prefer to actually start geting under the hood and familiarizing myself with my car...instead of having to pay a mechanic to look at it. I know we just changed the waterpump on the car...like 1 week ago...the seals were bad...guy charged me $280...and I saw online that the pump was only like 40 bucks...DAMN...but oh wellz not like I really would have figured out how to change it myself....As for the bushings...I think we had those changed about 10,000 miles ago...the steering was a bit wobbly and shakin....and my dad took it in...and they replaced some type of bushing...not very sure....

Wish me luck...I think I have a feel for what I want to do with this car...and I know how much its going to cost...Hopefully I don't have to sell it and end up carless...

P.s. Tranny...how do I check that ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast