GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil pump bolts

Default oil pump bolts

Im sure this is a popular question so instead of answering im sure I am going to get links to other post, which is fine as long as a get some sort of answer. My 530i makes quite an annoying clicking noise at idle and you can hear it alot more when the engine is cold so I am assuming its not the clicking of the injectors. So it must be the oil pump bolts problem that is so popular. How hard is this to check? And to fix? Im really not interested in blowing the motor so I think this is my new top priority.
    Thanks
    Dan Lafley
    95 530i

http://www.60ateight.com/BMW_E38/

That's for an M62, but the procedure will be the same on the M60.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post

hello,
    I was wondering if this process works with a 95 540i also? I have picked up one not so long ago and believe I also hear a ticking sound at idle when cold. The sound speeds up when you give it more gas and slows down as the engine does, does this sound like the oil pump possibly.
    thanks
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by h2oyo View Post
    hello,
    I was wondering if this process works with a 95 540i also? I have picked up one not so long ago and believe I also hear a ticking sound at idle when cold. The sound speeds up when you give it more gas and slows down as the engine does, does this sound like the oil pump possibly.
    thanks
    Johan
    As the '95 540 has an M60 it should be no different of a process than as it's described for the M62 in that E38. The part numbers might even be the same.

I've no idea what loose oil pump bolts would or wouldn't sound like. I've not checked my bolts yet (didn't have time to do it during the last oil change).
    It's on the list of things to do during the next oil change.

I've actually not done anything under the hood of my car yet other than replacing the air filter, changing the engine software a few times, changing the oil, and topping up the washer & radiator reserviors. When I swap out my cracked radiator in the near future that'll be the first 'serious' work I'll have done to the engine bay since I bought the car in March of last year.

I had 2 bolts rolling around in the pan, 3 others were finger tight. The chain was quite loose so I fixed that up while I was in there.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

one big problem with that write up, it doesn't address the main bolt problem with the v8 pump, the 3 mounting bolts indeed loosen but the many 10mm bolts that hold the two halves of the pump together loosen and in many cases fall out completely sometimes leaving interesting tracks in the pan as they get wedged between the pump pick up and the pan, it's not a hard repair but it needs to be checked out on pretty much any v8

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default What Bolts???

I dont understand what bolts come loose according to that write up....Where are they located?

There are 11 M6 bolts which clamp the two halves of the oil pump together.

The oil pump is seated on three M8 bolts the height of which can be adjusted to set the chain tightness.

If you replace the gasket. BMW has changed the original paper gasket to a metal one.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by winfred View Post
    one big problem with that write up, it doesn't address the main bolt problem with the v8 pump, the 3 mounting bolts indeed loosen but the many 10mm bolts that hold the two halves of the pump together loosen and in many cases fall out completely sometimes leaving interesting tracks in the pan as they get wedged between the pump pick up and the pan, it's not a hard repair but it needs to be checked out on pretty much any v8
    I tried to find the better one (also done on a 7) but couldn't seem to find it. It had much better pics and instructions.

Maybe Shogun knows where that one is...

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng View Post
    There are 11 M6 bolts which clamp the two halves of the oil pump together.

The oil pump is seated on three M8 bolts the height of which can be adjusted to set the chain tightness.

If you replace the gasket. BMW has changed the original paper gasket to a metal one.

How tight does the chain need to be? If I apply the locktite and then tighten the three main pump mounting bolts until the chain is less loose, the bolts are no where even close to being seated all the way to the mounting flange to keep the pump from dangling about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast