GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Debris in coolant

Default Debris in coolant

Hey guys.

I'm having cooling issues. I replaced the thermostat, but problem persists. Have bought at new water pump and am waiting to find the time/place to replace it.

However, there's a thing, that has been gnawing me as to the reason to the problem. Here goes. I'm losing coolant by the litre, and it seems to come from the front of the engine (by the water pump). Also, sometimes the temperature of the engine rises above the middle and if I dont stop the engine, it will continue up to the red mark. (haven't allowed this to happen, though). If I restart the engine it will be normal again. I'll refill the expansion tank, bleed the system, and it will be fine sometimes for weeks.

Now to my theory (and this is where you come in and tell me if this is plausible or not!): I know for a fact, that one of the pins from the back of the solenoid valves for the heater (2 cm pin that was attached to the cone that opens and shuts the valve) has broken off and is "somewhere in the system". I fixed the valve some time ago, but the original pin is still missing in action.

Is it possible that this pin is "floating" around in there somewhere and occantionaly seizes the coolant pump impeller? I don't really know wether this is physically possible, but the pin was made of some very lightweight material (maybe something carbonfibre-ish).

I'd just hate to replace the waterpump only to have it wrecked again by a stray peice of **** in the system.

I really need to get this question out of my head. Am I on to something or not?

I think its more likely your water pump is just shot. If the bearing goes it will take out the gland seal that keeps the coolant in. The result is you get coolant running down on to the inside of the pump pulley. When mine went I got a nice spray trace up the side of the air filter box! Not sure of the set up on the diesel but on mine I'd slacken the fan belt and then see if I got any play at the pump pulley. HTH

Water pump for sure. You should change all coolant hoses and clamps too. I just did it yesterday!

and try to fish any crap like heater valves out from wherever they may have entered the block. Might be possible it is blocking some passage yes but spewing water from the front of the block says its a waterpump as stated above.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks, guys. I've officially stopped worrying.