GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R34 Ceramic Turbo Setup QUESTIONS

Default R34 Ceramic Turbo Setup QUESTIONS

Hey guys, I might be getting my hands on 2 R34 Ceramic Turbo's.

Couple Questions:

1a.) How much (roughly) would it cost to make a custom exhaust manifold + Downpipes?
    1b.) Does the RB26DETT Manifold bolt onto the M50?
    2.) The Intercooler can only be mounted behind the radiator(fan delete) or cut the center portion of the stock bumper...which is better?
    3.) How much PSI can a stock M50 handle SAFELY?
    4.) On a ratio of 1 to 10 (10 being the most difficult): How hard would the whole setup be?

Thoughts/Idea's?

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

setup would be 10 on a hardness scale. M50 can't handle too much more power on stock internals, I don't think. Maybe 80 more? t hat is me talking out of my ass.

as for another car's manifold bolting onto the m50 - no.

in montreal, your fabrication costs will be high.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    setup would be 10 on a hardness scale. M50 can't handle too much more power on stock internals, I don't think. Maybe 80 more? t hat is me talking out of my ass.

as for another car's manifold bolting onto the m50 - no.

in montreal, your fabrication costs will be high.
    You want to be seriously careful about 'boing a stock M50B25, they're already prone to gasket blowing and head cracking without further encouragement...

You'd need some data off JonK as to what was a safe pressure to run as he's already done it.

aren;t those the gt25 twin ceramics?

I sure wouldn;t be running them to be honest. they grenade when they get overhot or are spun too fast, and you;d have all this time into a manifold to fit two turbos with a WG at 1 bar minimum.
    Seems it would be LESS expensive to buy a turbo and manifold honestly.

I think 1 bar would be pushing it on a stock m50 but will defer to jon ks expertise..

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    aren;t those the gt25 twin ceramics?

I sure wouldn;t be running them to be honest. they grenade when they get overhot or are spun too fast, and you;d have all this time into a manifold to fit two turbos with a WG at 1 bar minimum.
    Seems it would be LESS expensive to buy a turbo and manifold honestly.

I think 1 bar would be pushing it on a stock m50 but will defer to jon ks expertise..
    So basically....sell the turbo's + accesories and buy a pre-made manifold, turbo, intercooler +accesories??

Would it be better to run single or twin for the M50?

single IMO, a 2.5 in no way justifies twins, at least not since the 80 when turbine were much slower spooling and less efficient than they are now.

the only reason you ever see twins anymore is packaging concerns, and on the e34 m50, the best packaging is a single top mount ala Jon k. LOADS of room in that corner, and only a washer bottle in it.

have to ask, did you finish the 5 speed swap yet?
    that is a mandatory upgrade first as the 4l30e will not handle the torque long term.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 07-19-2008 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    single IMO, a 2.5 in no way justifies twins, at least not since the 80 when turbine were much slower spooling and less efficient than they are now.

the only reason you ever see twins anymore is packaging concerns, and on the e34 m50, the best packaging is a single top mount ala Jon k. LOADS of room in that corner, and only a washer bottle in it.

have to ask, did you finish the 5 speed swap yet?
    that is a mandatory upgrade first as the 4l30e will not handle the torque long term.
    The swap must be done either way, my 4l30e is fried. Just trying to find a clean parts car.

so much misinformation in this thread

your m50 should spin up the two t25's no problem (i thought they were 28's, but regardless) but a twin setup on our six is a worthless complication. you would better off trading them for a single bigger turbo.

as far as what is safe, its up for debate. I have a few thousand miles on my holset powered m50tu @ 25psi. 10 psi is a nowhere near the power potential out of tiny turbos like that, I would say 4-500whp CAN be safe for a DD with proper charge cooling, tuning, and maintance without cracking open the engine for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ichbinsobose View Post
    so much misinformation in this thread

your m50 should spin up the two t25's no problem (i thought they were 28's, but regardless) but a twin setup on our six is a worthless complication. you would better off trading them for a single bigger turbo.

as far as what is safe, its up for debate. I have a few thousand miles on my holset powered m50tu @ 25psi. 10 psi is a nowhere near the power potential out of tiny turbos like that, I would say 4-500whp CAN be safe for a DD with proper charge cooling, tuning, and maintance without cracking open the engine for anything.
    500 whp on a stock M50?

Well, I had the chance to drive the gtr r32 yesterday all day with r34 turbo's in it and I must say it handle's better than most new high end cars I've driven, from G35's to E46 M3's, the GTR was a pure pleasure too drive....insane amount of power, SUPERB handling.

I think I might just finish my touring and keep it for road trips, but I'm seriously looking into a gtr as a solid summer car...

Take out the fuse and your drifting in 3rd no problem, but the fuse back in and you still squeal the tires from second to thrid. The boost is so addictive. I can't believe I'm actually posting this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast