GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Heater Core - Coolant Return Hose Leak

Default Heater Core - Coolant Return Hose Leak

The heater core coolant return hose (closest to the passenger side) is leaking when the car in running.

I have no smell of coolant odor within car, lots of heat, lots of AC, no foggy windows.

See pics.

Any ideas? Bad heater core?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If your carpets are dry and there's no smell of coolant in the interior, it's probably the return hose itself or the hose clamp is stripped. I'd pull it, examine the core nipple for cracks, and if it's okay change the hose and clamps. Old hoses can get hard at the ends and won't seal.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Did notice a small pin-hole in the return pipe - very small. Will try some JB Weld. Have ordered a new coolant return hose (and upper rad hose too) so hopefully this is the fix. Will double clamp the hose where it connects to the pipe.

Failing this, I may be leaving the BMW E34 world for something NEW!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis View Post
    If your carpets are dry and there's no smell of coolant in the interior, it's probably the return hose itself or the hose clamp is stripped. I'd pull it, examine the core nipple for cracks, and if it's okay change the hose and clamps. Old hoses can get hard at the ends and won't seal.

Quote Originally Posted by angusbn View Post
    Failing this, I may be leaving the BMW E34 world for something NEW!
    Because of a leak???

Wow.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Dave,

It's becoming a money pit. Besides, do I really want to rip out the dash to replace the heater core pipes and likely the heater core. PITA. Can't afford to take it to a garage since the flat rate is 8 hrs labor.

When is enough enough?

Maybe time to pass it on to another e34 fanatic?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis View Post
    Because of a leak???

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by angusbn View Post
    Dave,

It's becoming a money pit. Besides, do I really want to rip out the dash to replace the heater core pipes and likely the heater core. PITA. Can't afford to take it to a garage since the flat rate is 8 hrs labor.

When is enough enough?

Maybe time to pass it on to another e34 fanatic?
    E34s always have been and always will be moneypits till they're extinct....

They're an utter pain in the arse sometimes as they tend to demand several bits fixed at the same time.

I know with mine I've gotta spend at least the value of the car on it again to get the suspension back up to spec. The bushings/arms up front are toast again and I've got weak springs in the back end of the car.

It never ends, you've just gotta control the haemorraghing

Ferret... that expense of yours is typical for older cars... no matter what car you buy, eventually you will need to buy suspension parts.

I find the expense on the BMW is on the low side... rarely need to fix anything... even if I do, I tend to do all the work myself so the repair expense has been very low for this car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Ferret... that expense of yours is typical for older cars... no matter what car you buy, eventually you will need to buy suspension parts.

I find the expense on the BMW is on the low side... rarely need to fix anything... even if I do, I tend to do all the work myself so the repair expense has been very low for this car.
    Perhaps its just the UK cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post

When I say I've gotta spend the value of the car, that's in parts alone

Installed new coolant hoses today and applied some JB Weld to the coolant return pipe that is located at the firewall. It's still leaking and I now think it's item # 4 - part # 64111374368 at the following address:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=64&fg=15

I guess I have no other choice than to disassemble the dash and replace it, the other pipes, heater core?