GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: the cover inside just fell off

Default the cover inside just fell off

I was driving on the highway with my windows open and suddenly i look behind me and the cover thats on the roof from the inside just fell off from the back, I tried tucking it back in but it doesn't seem to work that well, this this a common issue with these cars? is there a easy fix for it?

I think what you're referring to is the headliner. Very common issue on E34s, do a search and I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of threads and probably some procedures on the replacement. Not sure how its different with the touring, but i'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

I jsut took mine apart last week. pics on BF.c

the rear section in the e34 is physically held up by a single tab in the middle, and the speaker grills, as well as the cargo net holders (if so equipped)
    the only other things keeping it tucked (not held) in place are the rubber window trims around the 1/4s, the sunroof gasket (front) and the rear hatch window gasket (not so much).
    the Dpillar and c pillar help but don't really hold it UP since it would just flex in the middle and fall down if the center tab and the speaker grills weren't there (actually that is how I removed it!) . You will need to know that you are going to have to pop the tops of those loose to tuck it back in though.

This is of course assuming you are taking about the complete board coming down, and not jsut hte headliner material falling and poofing down off the board.
    Seems the material shrinks, the foam rots, at it jsut comes down.

Luckily the touring roof is quite manageable in size and easy to install and remove (easier than a sedan!) just have to make sure you use 1/8th foam backed fabric.

All what fell down is like the fabric that is covering the foam and everything else, is that called the headliner?

YOu have a backing board, thin 1/8th inch foam (which is now orange and decomposingbut was once bonded to the fabric) backed fabric...
    all together it comprises the headliner.

To fix the fabric falling down and billowing you are going to have to take the backing board (it isn;t board or even rigid in our case) out, strip the old fabric off and throw it away, then start cleaning the old orange decomposed mess off the board and glue new foam backed fabric on it.
    This means you might as well do the whole thing... Ie all 6 pieces so they match, and if your fabric isn;t the same (or close to the same) light grey color, the a b and c pillars too.

Just remember 1/8th inch foam backed, or the sunroof will drag and put a lot of strain on the mechanism...

Euro 1/8th inch fabric should come in 60" widths, and US 1/4 inch backed usually is 54"

It has been often suggested that the caliber of glues available to you and I is not on par with those a shop uses, so it might do you well to talk to a shop and ask them how much to recover if you take it down, strip the old stuff off and clean it so their work is minimal... most of them are not going to want to mess with take down and reinstall on a BMW anyway, especially not a wagon with the double sunroof.