GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: issues related to wrong size pilot bearing?

Default issues related to wrong size pilot bearing?

So i just go my transmission for the third time now and it was just as fun as always, however i didn't find what i expected. After getting the pressure plate and clutch disk off i noticed the nipple on the end of the transmission input shaft had surface rust on it. Thus it couldn't have been properly seated in the input bearing. I grabbed and alignment tool supplied with the clutch kit and shoved it in the bearing but it was loose and the bearing looks brand new.

I noticed the clutch kit comes with two guide tools and bearings, same spline but different diameter nipples. I must not have realized to swap the bearing when i swapped transmissions awhile ago.

Can anyone think of any issued that could be related to the input shaft of the transmission effectively not having and input bearing to support it, noises, damage, etc? I am finding a pilot bearing puller tomorrow to swap it but i am curious if this could be one of the elusive clunking noises that drive me .

The input shaft bearing on the trans would suffer worst I'd think, someone here might have the spec for allowable play.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default If its the sintered bronze or oilite bearing in the

end of the crank then it if its dry they frequently come out rusty on a number of cars. If its a roller bearing the same thing can apply. Rust doesnt' tell me that it was too big to begin with more likely that it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tgrandahl View Post
    So i just go my transmission for the third time now and it was just as fun as always, however i didn't find what i expected. After getting the pressure plate and clutch disk off i noticed the nipple on the end of the transmission input shaft had surface rust on it. Thus it couldn't have been properly seated in the input bearing. I grabbed and alignment tool supplied with the clutch kit and shoved it in the bearing but it was loose and the bearing looks brand new.

I noticed the clutch kit comes with two guide tools and bearings, same spline but different diameter nipples. I must not have realized to swap the bearing when i swapped transmissions awhile ago.

Can anyone think of any issued that could be related to the input shaft of the transmission effectively not having and input bearing to support it, noises, damage, etc? I am finding a pilot bearing puller tomorrow to swap it but i am curious if this could be one of the elusive clunking noises that drive me .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    end of the crank then it if its dry they frequently come out rusty on a number of cars. If its a roller bearing the same thing can apply. Rust doesnt' tell me that it was too big to begin with more likely that it was bad.
    Sorry that wasn't a very clear post, the rust was just what got me to actually look and measure the bearing. The bearing that is in my crank is the larger one pictured below, the smaller bearing that fits is the new one that came with the clutch kit.

I haven't been able to get the old one out yet, i just tried the pilot bearing puller tool from harbor freight and it would not fit a bearing this small. Has anyone had any luck with the autozone tool?

Are there any particular procedures to testing a dual mass flywheel, are they prone to failure and if so what are the symptoms? I can rotate mine roughly 15degrees before the crank starts to turn but its not loose or anything.

The surface has some heat marks but is still smooth for the most part. Will a clutch "bed" into this like brake pads on old rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by tgrandahl View Post
    The surface has some heat marks but is still smooth for the most part. Will a clutch "bed" into this like brake pads on old rotors?
    Sand it down with 100 grit sandpaper, then 320 grit sandpaper, get it as clean as possible to let the new clutch "bed-in" easier.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...