GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E46 clutch query..

Default E46 clutch query..

I have aquired a sachs clutch kit it states its for the e46 330ci, i have the 325 ci, looking around i see that this model fits the 330 and the 325 xi? what is the xi?

xi is the all wheel drive, the 330 is a 240mm clutch i can't remember for sure if the 2wd 325 is a 240 but theres a good chance it may be a 228mm clutch, you'd need a flywheel to go with the big clutch to use it. on a different note these clutches suck big time and a major piece of **** design, just had one come back through my shop that only lasted a year before failing, to avoid a repeat i installed a different set up from a e36 m3, clutch kit and flywheel drop right in and are not that goofy self adjusting design that the e46 uses
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Wish i new that before i bought it got the kit for £31 new on ebay so it was cheap i think, so if i purchased a 330 or m3 flywheel it will easily replace my smaller flywheel and all will be ok?

you'd need a 330 flywheel to use that clutch, the m3 uses a different unit
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred View Post
    you'd need a 330 flywheel to use that clutch, the m3 uses a different unit
    SO if i bought a flywheel from a 330 it will fit fine in my 325 ci box, will i need anything else?

should be good to go, you will need the special alignment tool and DO NOT take the retaining piece out of the pressure plate till it's bolted to the flywheel or you will render the pressure plate useless, you can make a e36 alignment tool work by cutting the end with the pull ring on it off a little past the splines so it'll fit under the pressure plate retaining plate, once you unlock the pressure plate be removing that plate you can take the alignment tool out normally

Quote Originally Posted by winfred View Post
    should be good to go, you will need the special alignment tool and DO NOT take the retaining piece out of the pressure plate till it's bolted to the flywheel or you will render the pressure plate useless, you can make a e36 alignment tool work by cutting the end with the pull ring on it off a little past the splines so it'll fit under the pressure plate retaining plate, once you unlock the pressure plate be removing that plate you can take the alignment tool out normally
    thanks for your help, i think the thrust bearing needs changing as there is a noise from the gearbox when in idle but goes when i press the clutch down, am i right in thinking its the thrust bearing?

i wouldn't do a clutch without changing the throwout bearing but the noise is likely the common input bearing noise that most bmw trannys have when they get a few miles on them

yes it has 120,000 is the common input bearing easy to get to i have not changed a clutch or bearing in a bmw before, any info much appreciated.