GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key doesn't lock all doors?

Default Key doesn't lock all doors?

I have this weird lock setup where:

If I lock the car from the driver side only that door and the one behind it gets locked, the passenger and the one behind it do not work.

If I lock it from the passenger side all of them lock except the one behind the passenger.

I don't really care about the one behind the passenger, but is there any way I could and see what the problem is and how to fix it where the driver door will lock the passenger and unlock the passenger when I use the key there?

Front passengers door actuator
    Gone but not forgotten

If you don't mind, could you just let me know more info on how the door actuator works and are there any instructions on how to install it?

One thing though, if the actuator is not working, how come if you open the passenger door the driver's door and the one behinds it open? shouldn't open alone?

I checked online and the door actuator for the back are the same from left to right, same with the front. I am thinking of switching them up to test them and see if they work before I actually purchase them.
    Last edited by elbasha; 07-06-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elbasha View Post
    If you don't mind, could you just let me know more info on how the door actuator works and are there any instructions on how to install it?

One thing though, if the actuator is not working, how come if you open the passenger door the driver's door and the one behinds it open? shouldn't open alone?

I checked online and the door actuator for the back are the same from left to right, same with the front. I am thinking of switching them up to test them and see if they work before I actually purchase them.
    if the actuator works when you unlock from the ps can't you assume the actuator is ok?

it sounds like the signal isn't reaching your ps actuator when you unlock from the ds and the rear door is a seperate issue. i would check the plugs and wires leading to both front actuators and the handles before replacing the actuator itself... i had a similar issue when i replaced my front doors. i don't know which was what but after i cleaned a few plugs everything worked great.

How would I check the wires and plugs?

Sean & Johan's page has alot of info. It's for an e32 but the doors are very similar for e34's.

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/

go to "body & interior" and "doorpanel removal" and "doorlock mechanism"

Bruno might also have more info at:

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Quote Originally Posted by elbasha View Post
    How would I check the wires and plugs?
    online wiring diagrams and a digital multimter.

Isn't there a lock sync procedure you should try first?
    I tried mine per the manual, but the key detents are not what they say they should be, adn I'm confused. Latest lock sync procedure?
    Pat Washburn
    Wausau, WI
    1995 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    Isn't there a lock sync procedure you should try first?
    I tried mine per the manual, but the key detents are not what they say they should be, adn I'm confused. Latest lock sync procedure?
    I was thinking something similar, before you go taking actuators out, why not try resetting the lock mechanism?

Get everything open and unlocked, including the boot and disconnect your battery for 15 minutes. With the battery disconnected turn your ignition key to start, take the key out and reconnect your battery etc.

Key in the drivers door and lock/unlock everything slowly a few times?

It sounds like something interesting is going on with this one, like something's gone out of synch as all your motors are working, just out of time!

I will try that Ferret, I am guessing the "boot" is the trunk?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast