GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: ATF cooler leak

Default ATF cooler leak

Anyone ever have their ATF cooler go out?

I found a pink milkshake when I drained my radiator

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Yeah, I had my ATF cooler worn last month on my 540, I saw the pink milkshake you talking about. This is a symptom of a worn ATF cooler, Usually ATF coolers leak fluid in the coolant but coolant does not leak into the oil lines.

Default Sorry but thats wrong, I have had many customers cars that

leak coolant into the transmission, trashing it out. When you shut off the car hot there is still pressure in the radiator but no pressure in the transmission cooler oil lines so the pressurized coolant makes its way into the cracked or broken oil cooler. I'd pull the trans pan and take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmo_2007 View Post
    Yeah, I had my ATF cooler worn last month on my 540, I saw the pink milkshake you talking about. This is a symptom of a worn ATF cooler, Usually ATF coolers leak fluid in the coolant but coolant does not leak into the oil lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    leak coolant into the transmission, trashing it out. When you shut off the car hot there is still pressure in the radiator but no pressure in the transmission cooler oil lines so the pressurized coolant makes its way into the cracked or broken oil cooler. I'd pull the trans pan and take a look.
    Yup,

Fluid looked clear, but I picked up a filter & gasket kit and gonna drop the pan and change it all.

when i dissected the radiator on my m50 car (almost the same rad as your m20) i discovered that the trans cooler on that car is basically a pretty solid metal (paper towel roll sized) tube with two points soldered on for the cooler lines. so while i understand that they do leak, i'm not sure why. perhaps at the solder/weld points for the lines?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    when i dissected the radiator on my m50 car (almost the same rad as your m20) i discovered that the trans cooler on that car is basically a pretty solid metal (paper towel roll sized) tube with two points soldered on for the cooler lines. so while i understand that they do leak, i'm not sure why. perhaps at the solder/weld points for the lines?
    I was told it is metal fatigue from heating and cooling under pressure over and over that leads to fractures in the tubes, or if you run water and cheap coolant you can get corrosion and pin holes

Yea, No pink milkshake in the trans pan....

The ol' 525 is back on the road