GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Leather seat repair or replace??

Default Leather seat repair or replace??

My driver’s side seat BACK (pergament) has worn through where you slide in. Just a 3-inch strip on the lower side of the stitched seam.

I know I can buy a new cover, OEM states over $700 US for the top seat cover. I suspect a used seat will be just as bad as mine.

I will consult my local vehicle upholstery shop to see if they can repair. However, I doubt is they can match the leather or color.

Are there any alternatives? TIA
    Last edited by Russell; 07-05-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

isnt there an repair solution...isit leatherique or something like that?
    Gone but not forgotten

Buy a passenger side seat and swap the hardware from the drivers seat over to the passenger set to turn it into a drivers seat.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    My driver’s side seat (pergament) has worn through where you slide in. Just a 3-inch strip on the lower side of the stitched seam.

I know I can buy a new cover, OEM states over $700 US for the top seat cover. I suspect a used seat will be just as bad as mine.

I will consult my local vehicle upholstery shop to see if they can repair. However, I doubt is they can match the leather or color.

Are there any alternatives? TIA
    my driver's side seat doesn't hve the problems you are describing, and it's much older - 4 years. So I think you will definitely be able to find used seats in better condition than your own.

Possibly. I would want a reasonably local source so I can take a look at the back before I buy. otherwise the seat bottom is fine.
    Last edited by Russell; 07-06-2008 at 10:50 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I happen to have a nice parchment seat cover that I got from Regal. Some guy in AZ was interested in it but has not said he would buy it. Much easier to replace the covers then to take off seat and get another shipped. Its used but in very good shape. Send me your email and I will send a picture of it.

I just sent front seats to Saint Louis MO. and although the shipping was not too bad, securing them on a skid took a long time. 400 pounds was about 150 bucks. Seat cover can fit inside a medium size box...

Thanks-I sent you an e-mail
    Thanks,

Wrecking yards are loaded with near perfect rear seats that would make excellent donors for a bit of original leather to repair your seat.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Wrecking yards are loaded with near perfect rear seats that would make excellent donors for a bit of original leather to repair your seat.
    Ross, I am considering this appoach. However none of my local yards seem to have any appropiate BMWs. Never do! Do you have a handle on how to search regionally for used BMW parts? Thanks
    Thanks,

I would sniff around the BM forums looking for parts cars near me.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"