GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: She's back!

Default She's back!

Finally, after a lot of fiddling around with the clutch slave, doing a total fluid change on it, my 540's finally back and working much better than before.

I've changed all the hardware on the manifold-cat joints, nearly $30 worth of nuts and bolts! Readjusted the rotation of the cat-back exhaust joints and she's sounding so much smoother than before as well.

I have now got two small problems however, the tinkling noise is still there and I've got play in the driveline somewhere (clunking on drive takeup.) I suspect that the two are related and the tinkling noise is coming from one of the CV joints up back.

The propshaft itself is solid, and the bearing/carrier is in good condition. The play is either in the diff or the cv joints and I bet I know which one it is. I suspect one of the CV joints has gone dry and is responsible for the tinkling noise.

Also, I've managed to lose 2mpg somewhere... do you have it? 14mpg isnt amusing at the moment, but I suspect it's something to do with me being out tanning it and doing commuting after the OBC was reset.

Just need to sort out door rust and a dent now and she's sorted

OWait, I thought the clutch change went all suspiciously smoothly, just went outside to grab lunch and have a flat with a screw through the tyre!

Oh well!

a flat,thats rare nowadays althoughi have had three with this car,one on the way to be a wedding car!
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    OWait, I thought the clutch change went all suspiciously smoothly, just went outside to grab lunch and have a flat with a screw through the tyre!

Oh well!
    Ain't that the thing!? Do something 'good' for the car and you get paid back with a flat tire.

Hopefully you can plug and patch it,

On the tinkling and driveline slack, can you pinpoint the noise to the rear of the car and not to the bellhousing? I hope so because if the clutch disk is like most other cars', broken 'shock-absorbing' springs in the disk can create these symptoms. That would be a major bummer if you got a dude clutch disk...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bsell View Post
    Ain't that the thing!? Do something 'good' for the car and you get paid back with a flat tire.

Hopefully you can plug and patch it,

On the tinkling and driveline slack, can you pinpoint the noise to the rear of the car and not to the bellhousing? I hope so because if the clutch disk is like most other cars', broken 'shock-absorbing' springs in the disk can create these symptoms. That would be a major bummer if you got a dude clutch disk...

Brian
    The clutch on the 540 doesnt have take up springs in it, it has the dual mass flywheel! The flywheel damper is just still working, you can turn the flywheel by hand but it's very stiff against the internal damper.

The tyres all patched and rebalanced now, and I gave her a bath she's all shiny clean, but it shows up the rust in the bottom of the doors! I know what I'll be doing...

NEXT!