GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: anti-lock light weirdness

Default anti-lock light weirdness

When I turn the key to position one (1) my anti-lock light on the dash cluster comes on. BUT NOT EVERY TIME! If I start the car, Positon 2, I think, it goes out as it should.

Light never comes on when driving. Brakes seem fine.

Why does it not come on each time? Not sure if there is an issue or where to start.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    When I turn the key to position one (1) my anti-lock light on the dash cluster comes on. BUT NOT EVERY TIME! If I start the car, Positon 2, I think, it goes out as it should.

Light never comes on when driving. Brakes seem fine.

Why does it not come on each time? Not sure if there is an issue or where to start.
    maybe check your charging system? my alternator just finally gave it up and the abs light started flickering at the same time. not the same symptom as you but i've been looking at the wiring diagrams in the bentley (ewd 65-7) and the abs control unit is on the same circuit as the starter/alternator. also my charge light on the dash has gone completely - never ever lights - altho i saw it work 1 week ago and a good bulb doesn't make a difference. haven't got the new alt yet so i don't know for sure but i think it's all related. hth

ABS light should come on steady when you turn ignition on and go out when you fire up. If it comes on again at about 10mph that would indicate a sensor problem-an easy fix. So my guess is your concern is you dont know if the ABS is working or not? I'm hoping that replacing the bulb will sort it. Hope being the operative word. Regret I cant offer a speedy solution but will be watching to see how you go

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    ABS light should come on steady when you turn ignition on and go out when you fire up. If it comes on again at about 10mph that would indicate a sensor problem-an easy fix. So my guess is your concern is you dont know if the ABS is working or not? I'm hoping that replacing the bulb will sort it. Hope being the operative word. Regret I cant offer a speedy solution but will be watching to see how you go
    I replaced the bulb twice with same result. So bulb seems to be good. ABS seems to be working fine. I am just concerned that the light does not come on steady when the ignition is turned on every time.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I replaced the bulb twice with same result. So bulb seems to be good. ABS seems to be working fine. I am just concerned that the light does not come on steady when the ignition is turned on every time.
    so i replaced the alternator and the abs light doesn't flicker anymore, just so you know and my charge light is working again too.

found the abs light will not come on unless you wait 30 seconds after turning the car off. Why I do not know. So nothing wrong.

Checked it this evening. ABS light came on with the first start. Did not the second try a couple of seconds later. However it did come on after waiting 30 seconds.
    Thanks,