GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Shadowline - ok whats the trick to install

Default Shadowline - ok whats the trick to install

I picked up two pieces of shadowline from a local friend who parted out an M5 as a favor because I'll be wiring/base tuning his car.

So I popped my old chrome trim off - it looks like the PO resorted to some sort of glue in some spots. Hrm. So now I place the shadowline one up and the back by the window pushes in with grommets but the rest has what look like little black clips... only they don't seem to uh.. clip.

This is just the upper pieces - I dunno what I am going to do about the lower window ones, he didn't have those pieces.

I understand you must replace all clips upon reinstallation.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I understand you must replace all clips upon reinstallation.
    No prob! Got a part number?

51131924953 is the clamp part number Jon, you'll need something like 22 of them. Just buy about 30 so you'll have some spares. Install the rear mouldings first so they will be where the holes align the part. Then snap the long part on and be sure to place the clips where the old ones were, very important.

Hope this helps,
    JR

How big of a bitch is it to pull the trim off without damaging it? Any tricks for doing so if it can be done?

I've got a can of Wurth Satin Black sitting here with the intention of painting the trim black as I can't stand the chrome. Not sure if the trim can be taken off and re-applied without damaging it though. Don't feel like spending the $ for shadowline if I can do it myself for $25 + the cost of new clips.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

You can remove the trim but be very gentle. Start at the bottom of the rear piece first and pull it straight out away from the car a little at a time evenly. You are trying to release the pins from the grommets without breaking them. The trim is connected together at a seam above the rear passenger door. Using a good light, you will see how to bend the keeper trim piece out of the way so you can slide the rear trim piece out once it is free from the pin/grommets. The top piece that travels the length of the car is then twisted up and pulled straight up using gentle force. Be very careful, it will feel like it isn't coming off, but just when you think you're going to break something, the clips will break and the trim will come free. There is no way to remove the trim without breaking the clips. Just make sure you have about 30 of them on hand and put them back in the same exact spot as they were before. You should be able to make it out by the pattern left by the old clips. Use self etching primer on the trim, sand it lightly smooth with some 600 grit paper and then shoot at least 2 coats of the trim coat paint. Installation is started with the rear piece first so the front seam lines back up right.

Good luck,
    JR
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540i M-Sport 6 speed
    10-19-95 build date
    130,300 miles and counting...