GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: radio woes or is it antennae?

Default radio woes or is it antennae?

did the search on "radio" came up with topics only with "upgrades" and "removals." my prblem is that all of a sudden, the radio has this "sharp-screaching like' sound while listening to the radio. the "ST" display will dissappear while the sound is emitted. it seems like it's not picking up FM signals. it happens to all radio stations. i checked that "black box" on the trunk and everything is plugged-in. i'm guessing the antennae plug that connect to the back of the radio unit could be loose. either my radio unit is broken or something wrong with my antennae? does anybody have similar problem?

If your ST display is going in and out then you're definitely having reception problems. Because you're loosing stereo reception which is why the ST is going out.

Could be loose antenna plug at the back of the radio. Could be intermittent short in the line for the antenna. Could be a problem in the radio. And I'm sure there's other things it could be as well.

Hopefully one of the other peeps on the board with better E34 radio experience will be able to give you a better route of attack if the problem isn't a loose plug at the back of the radio...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    If your ST display is going in and out then you're definitely having reception problems. Because you're loosing stereo reception which is why the ST is going out.

Could be loose antenna plug at the back of the radio. Could be intermittent short in the line for the antenna. Could be a problem in the radio. And I'm sure there's other things it could be as well.

Hopefully one of the other peeps on the board with better E34 radio experience will be able to give you a better route of attack if the problem isn't a loose plug at the back of the radio...
    Agree with all above. Would just add that if the screech increases with engine revs, you are getting radio interference, probably from the alternator
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)