GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bilstien 's

Default bilstien 's

Hello,
    A while ago I seen a thread about strut/spring combo's. I have installed Ebach progressive rate springs on my 95 540l. If I go over a fairly big bump or hole it hits really hard. What I got from the other thread is that the bilstien sport struts dont need to a have the bump stop installed with the bilstien's installed. My question is how do you know if you have SPORT bilstien's? Or if are they all called sport. Do I need to remove the the bump stops? This seems to be only a problem on the front end I dont notice it on the rear. Any help would be greatly apperciated.
    Thank you in advance,
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by h2oyo View Post
    Hello,
    A while ago I seen a thread about strut/spring combo's. I have installed Ebach progressive rate springs on my 95 540l. If I go over a fairly big bump or hole it hits really hard. What I got from the other thread is that the bilstien sport struts dont need to a have the bump stop installed with the bilstien's installed. My question is how do you know if you have SPORT bilstien's? Or if are they all called sport. Do I need to remove the the bump stops? This seems to be only a problem on the front end I dont notice it on the rear. Any help would be greatly apperciated.
    Thank you in advance,
    Johan
    you know you have sport bilstein's because those are the ones you ordered when you had them installed on your car....what did you order? they are not all called sport, there are sport, hd and touring I believe.

yes, you do need to remove the factory bumpstops, it makes a big difference in ride.

Bilsteins...bahhhh
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    you know you have sport bilstein's because those are the ones you ordered when you had them installed on your car....what did you order? they are not all called sport, there are sport, hd and touring I believe.

yes, you do need to remove the factory bumpstops, it makes a big difference in ride.
    Yes I would know if I was the one that ordered them. I did not order them they were installed to my car just before I bought my car. I did forget to say that. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to know without removing the struts, by color or something.
    Thanks
    Johan

I was also wondering where you said I do need to remove the stock bump stops, does that apply to any of the bilstien/Ebach setups? Or only if you are using the sports.
    Thanks again,
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by h2oyo View Post
    Yes I would know if I was the one that ordered them. I did not order them they were installed to my car just before I bought my car. I did forget to say that. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to know without removing the struts, by color or something.
    Thanks
    Johan

look for a part number on the shock and call bilstein, it's the best way to be sure.

If you have blue dust boots, there is no BMW factory bumpstop in there... there is not supposed to be any bumpstop on it. It is built in internally.

On the other hand, if you are talking about the harsh bang noise when you hit a bump, you need to change the sway bar links.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    ...if you are talking about the harsh bang noise when you hit a bump, you need to change the sway bar links.
    Has anyone ever decided to just say "screw it" to the factory style sway-bar links and install a custom heim-joint setup?

Sounds expensive... beside... a sway bar link probably last 50,000 miles easily.

sway bar endlinks are really, really cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast