GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: intermitten rubbing noise from right rear wheel, sticking caliper

Default intermitten rubbing noise from right rear wheel, sticking caliper

I have a rubbing / grindy noise every once in a while from my right rear wheel. I am thinking caliper, since that would explain why it is intermittent. Any tips or tricks to get it unstuck?

no one has any ideas? Stock tire, stock wheels. lowered 1 inch on eibach springs, bilstein sport shocks. When I first drive the car in the morning, no noise. Then, if I drive it an hour or 2 later, the rubbing noise starts. What could it be? Nothing visually obvious that I can tell....

it would most likely be a caliper pin that has gone out of round/out of lube rather than a caliper sticking. after a long drive, feel the brake hardware on both sides of the axle. if one side is hotter than the other, you probably have an actual stick. also, pin problems will manifest themselves as pads that wear down at an angle abnormally faster compared to the other side, as opposed to the wholesale overheating/wear situation that occurs for a sticking caliper.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

thanks ryan, I appreciate the advice.

Hey, I'm interested in this one as I seem to have a similar problem (I don't want to hijack the thread but It seems like we're in the same boat!). I don't have an audible noise when driving but when I jacked the car up the other day the front wheel was not turning freely when I spun it by hand. I could hear the brake pad rubbing on the disc. Brakes discs and pads are probably less than a year old and fitted correctly... Pins etc seem to be fine too and wear is even on discs and pads (lots of pad left). I've been thinking performance isn't as good as it used to be - could I have a problem? Anyone?!

Repent - have you tried spinning yours by hand?
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    Hey, I'm interested in this one as I seem to have a similar problem (I don't want to hijack the thread but It seems like we're in the same boat!). I don't have an audible noise when driving but when I jacked the car up the other day the front wheel was not turning freely when I spun it by hand. I could hear the brake pad rubbing on the disc. Brakes discs and pads are probably less than a year old and fitted correctly... Pins etc seem to be fine too and wear is even on discs and pads (lots of pad left). I've been thinking performance isn't as good as it used to be - could I have a problem? Anyone?!

Repent - have you tried spinning yours by hand?
    that is the next step once I have some time to get under the car. I am going to give it a shot hopefully next week or this weekend if work slows down. I will also take the wheel off and examine the caliper assembly.

ok - i'm moving to another country this weekend, so i don't; have time to fix this until next eek. it's still making the noise, but it drives fine. what is the worst case scenario if the caliper really is sticking, and if i drove it 400 miles in one shot? is there a super quick way to alleviate the symptoms until i can replace the caliper or caliper pin?

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    ok - i'm moving to another country this weekend, so i don't; have time to fix this until next eek. it's still making the noise, but it drives fine. what is the worst case scenario if the caliper really is sticking, and if i drove it 400 miles in one shot? is there a super quick way to alleviate the symptoms until i can replace the caliper or caliper pin?
    good luck with your move ben, if you want a hand with the car before give a shout.

you know how much i know but could your problem just be a bad spot on the brakes? i get the occasional bit of rub and it's just a couple of tiny tiny spots of rust towards the outside of the disc. happens after it has sat tho. i never thought it was a big deal i hope someone corrects me if it is.