GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrust arm bushings: M5 or 750

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Edwin Guest

Default Thrust arm bushings: M5 or 750

Hi,
    I bought a new set of Lemforder thrust arms. They came without the bushings, which i want to replace also. BMA's arm have 750 bushings pressed in, but i heard M5 bushings wil also fit. Will the M5 ones hold longer? Which bushings do you guys prefer and why.

Great board, thanks in advance,
    Edwin, the Netherlands.

i've had a better record with the m5 bushings here at the shop, not one set has come back in almost 4 years of installing the m5 bushings, i've gotten the stock blue's back in as little as 3 months, and 6 months for the green 750s, we even put m5s in e32s inplace of the white bushings
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Edwin Guest

Default bushings

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i've had a better record with the m5 bushings here at the shop, not one set has come back in almost 4 years of installing the m5 bushings, i've gotten the stock blue's back in as little as 3 months, and 6 months for the green 750s, we even put m5s in e32s inplace of the white bushings
    Thanks',
    I also heard the M5 ones are solid instead of liquid filled? Is there a downside like more noise or harshness?

Edwin

they are not solid they still have a air gap
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default M5 Bushings Available?

Are the M5 Bushings available pre-pressed in or do I need to buy them and have them pressed in?

Thanks

Ramon
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Default New technology

I'm installing a set of Sport Control arm bushings from Road Race Technology this weekend. I'm also installing a prototype set of Sport Thrust arm bushings. This set-up will mimic the 3 series set-up and these bushing will never need replacing. The bushing is actually a Teflon-lined spherical bearing that is pressed into the Lemforder arms. I let you guys know how these work after a few weeks of driving.

http://www.roadracetech.com/rrt_catalog/suspension.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin
    Hi,
    I bought a new set of Lemforder thrust arms. They came without the bushings, which i want to replace also. BMA's arm have 750 bushings pressed in, but i heard M5 bushings wil also fit. Will the M5 ones hold longer? Which bushings do you guys prefer and why.

Great board, thanks in advance,
    Edwin, the Netherlands.
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

Default Sounds interesting, but

What do you do when the ball joint wears out? Can the lifetime bushing be pressed out and reinstalled into a new arm without damaging it? Are they working on a replaceable ball joint?

Sounds like a great idea, though. I'm looking forward to your real world report on how they affect road noise and ride quality.

Drew Zacharda
    6-speed Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    I'm installing a set of Sport Control arm bushings from Road Race Technology this weekend. I'm also installing a prototype set of Sport Thrust arm bushings. This set-up will mimic the 3 series set-up and these bushing will never need replacing. The bushing is actually a Teflon-lined spherical bearing that is pressed into the Lemforder arms. I let you guys know how these work after a few weeks of driving.

http://www.roadracetech.com/rrt_catalog/suspension.asp
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Default Yes

the bearings can be re-used. Hopefully the ball joints will last for years. My originals lasted 12 years+ until I had to destroy them on removal when I replaced them with 750's earlier this year.
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

Ryan Roopnarine's German Auto Haus is working on a replaceable ball joint even if it isn't for drop-in replacement use, that summabitch is coming out of the arm when i get some time with the press in orlando and a suitable piece of sheet metal to protect me from a likely metallic explosion. Its not a matter of whether or no it can come out, just a matter of time

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ
    What do you do when the ball joint wears out? ......Are they working on a replaceable ball joint?

Sounds like a great idea, though. I'm looking forward to your real world report on how they affect road noise and ride quality.

Drew Zacharda
    6-speed Touring
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

This sounds pretty cool- please keep us updated!!

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast