GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Where is the radio antenna amplifier in a touring?

Default Where is the radio antenna amplifier in a touring?

I've just fitted my new stereo which has a hideaway box in the boot and you need to connect the aerial to this box. So I have taken a cable directly from the aerial in the side window to this box (disconnected the cable running to the HU) and now my radio reception is very poor. I am guessing that by running a cable directly I have bypassed an aerial amplifier or something similar.

Does anyone know if all e34s (mine is UK) had an aerial amplifier and where it lives in an e34 touring? The pics on realoem only show the 4 door.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    I've just fitted my new stereo which has a hideaway box in the boot and you need to connect the aerial to this box. So I have taken a cable directly from the aerial in the side window to this box (disconnected the cable running to the HU) and now my radio reception is very poor. I am guessing that by running a cable directly I have bypassed an aerial amplifier or something similar.

Does anyone know if all e34s (mine is UK) had an aerial amplifier and where it lives in an e34 touring? The pics on realoem only show the 4 door.
    As you say the aerial amp is behind the nearside rear courtesy light panel on the 4 door and it uses the heated rear windscreen as an aerial. May be a long shot but have a look behind the offside panel in the boot. Thats where I found the end of the coax. I dont have the original multichanger or amp but I'm guessing thats why it was routed back there.

The coax cable goes to the side window where the aerial is on the touring, I am trying to do this without taking the boot panel out as its a real pain! I've chased the cable from the window down to the boot floor and then it goes under the back seat and down the side to the front of the car as part of the loom, this points to the aerial amp stry being at the front somewhere, I'm surprised because its in the rear on the saloon. Do all e34s have the aerial amp?

There is another thinner cable (power?) that goes from the aerial and down the back of the side panel but I can't see where this goes. I've connected the coax from the aerial to the new box in the boot so I would have thought that anything connected to this other cable cable should still take effect as it goes directly into the aerial.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I gonna have to go down the aftermarket route? I don't want to if I can avoid it!
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe