GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: anyone clued up on electric memory seats

Default anyone clued up on electric memory seats

i just won an ebay aution here in the uk for e32 electric leather seats with memory, i was informed these fit the e34 although the rear seats are a tight squeeze, anyway i was also informed the wiring was there for electric seats and this would operate the seats and memory.

now i have been told the memory seats require serveral connections to work.

will the plug under my carpet plug into the corresponding plug on the seat and operate it as a normal electric seat (without memory) or will the seat n ot work at all, i dont mind if the memory does not work but as long as the electric adjustments work as normal. I hope someone can help as i need to let the guy know asap if i am buying the goods

here is what i have under my seat

heres the pics the seller sent of the seats electrical connections

this is the one that corresponds with my connection

the rest i dont have

I was told on another BMW forum that in order for memory settings on the seat to work you need the memory control module since it adjusted the mirrors as well. I assume if you had planned on using them the standard way (without memory) they should work since the standard electrical connections are there.
    1995 Oriental Blue, 5 Speed BMW 525i/Parchment Interior

Quote Originally Posted by Frzninvt
    I was told on another BMW forum that in order for memory settings on the seat to work you need the memory control module since it adjusted the mirrors as well. I assume if you had planned on using them the standard way (without memory) they should work since the standard electrical connections are there.
    yeah you would think so, but also i have seen e34 under seat wiring with the 12 pin plug fully wired where my plug only has 4 terminals wired up. i would be paying a lot of money for shipping these seats so i cant take a risk i need to be sure before i buy and payshipping costs.

I've recently heard that the memory control module is actually in the seats. And it should work for the seats.

But it won't work for the mirrors and steering column if you don't have the parts (memory mirror motors, and whatever the column needs and who knows what else).

I'd guess the 12 pin plug when fully wired is for the mirrors and the column as those would be controled by the memory control module in the seat.

Seeing no reason why the seats won't work as regular seats. and they should even work as memory seats. You just won't get the rest of the memory stuff that's usually in a factory memory seat setup.

Sorry, I've not yet pulled my memory seats to see what things look like underneath to give you any better answers.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966
    I've recently heard that the memory control module is actually in the seats. And it should work for the seats.

But it won't work for the mirrors and steering column if you don't have the parts (memory mirror motors, and whatever the column needs and who knows what else).

I'd guess the 12 pin plug when fully wired is for the mirrors and the column as those would be controled by the memory control module in the seat.

Seeing no reason why the seats won't work as regular seats. and they should even work as memory seats. You just won't get the rest of the memory stuff that's usually in a factory memory seat setup.

Sorry, I've not yet pulled my memory seats to see what things look like underneath to give you any better answers.
    thanks for the reply, i just wish i could be certain as they look cracking seats, i think your right about the memory module being on the seat i had a trawl thru the e32 section and found pics of a memory seat and a non-memory seat and the memory seat had a black box for the memory which the other electric seat did not have.

so far i have had people with a good idea that they will be ok but so far nothing solid.

I've run into this issue with some sport seats I have. They are memory and the MCM is under the seat, you need a wiring harness that connects into that, and then that connects into the stock power harness, then all the other power connectors run throughout the other memory-devices in the car. It does NOT plug up. The passenger side will because it doesn't have memory. I'm assuming this will be the same issue in your case as your set and my set are both memory. You should be able to convert it to a standard seat or you can get a MCM from a board member.

see my website under

Seat & Mirror Memory Training Reference Book (1.04MB)

plus wiring diagrams
    http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/
    Last edited by shogun; 06-09-2008 at 11:59 PM.

The memory control box is underneath your seat, I installed electric sport seat into my 1988 535i wich had manual seat stock.

You will need a second harness, that plugs in to your memory control module and from there it goes to both of your seats, and to the big white connector on your picture.

I bought my harness from "Kalevera" here.

Im quoting him on this:
    The purpose of the harness is to connect the door mirrors, steering column (if it has power/memory adjustment), and seat together. It then interfaces with the body harness and with the memory control module mounted under the seat. I retrofitted memory into my '90 535 back in 2005. I was able to plug in the harness to get the driver's seat working, then I slowly routed it through the rest of the car over the subsequent weeks and months as I worked on the memory mirrors (difficult) and steering column projects. Since then I've helped a few people do similar jobs.

Here are a few pictures I took last year on how the harness routes through the car --

Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed