GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used BMW prices esp the e34??

Default Used BMW prices esp the e34??

Anyone looked at used BMW values/prices lately, especially the e34?

Kelly retail book values for the e34s seem high now that we have $4 plus gasoline here in the US. Perhaps the newer, not fully depreciated [COLOR=blue! important][FONT='segoe UI', verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT='segoe UI', verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cars[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR], suffer a lot more. I also see from the media that buyer/sellers guides like Kelly do not really respond quickly enough. I understand the wholesale auctions are a better guide.

Anyone have any insight?

BTW, my old fully depreciated 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer is not going to be traded soon. just driven a lot less.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

i'm seeing 6 cylinder cars selling 3k and 540's selling for between 6 and 8.

Of course, with the 6 cyl cars, a lot is determined by age. You can pick up a 95 525 for around 4 or 5k if it's in great shape, but the older cars are quite inexpensive.

In Canada, the cars still cost more. 4-5k for a well sorted 6 cyl.

Ebay is a very good resource for finding the true market price of an item. They have a feature where you can search through ended auctions, and they divide things into sold / not sold, so you can see the prices for each. Buy it now is also a good indicator.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by repenttokyo; 06-09-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Interesting that the 6 cylinder cars are so much different than the 8s in terms of price. Apparently the market for e34s (to date) is not impacted by fuel prices. may not be affected. even so, I am still happy I have a "great condition" six in terms of simplicity and a little bit better fuel economy. Even so, I miss power.
    Last edited by Russell; 06-10-2008 at 12:29 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

In my experience, a 530i V8 will usually go for less than a 525i with comparable miles, in comparable condition, and with the same type of transmission. The only V8s that bring bigger bucks are the 540i sport 6-speeds. A good '95 525i 5sp with AST, luxury package, and low miles will bring way more than $4k and probably more than $5k, even as high as $6k; or more than an early E39 528i in many cases. I know I'd pay extra not to have OBD-II. There aren't a whole lot of cars that will do what an E34 525i will do and still get 29-mpg on the highway at 75-mph. It's the V8s that will suffer from fuel prices.

Edit: This post should be #5. The forum may be back up but it's still whacky!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Interesting that the 6 cylinder cars are so much difference than the 8s in terms of price. Apparently the market for e34s (to date) is not impacted by fuel prices. may not be affect. even so, i am still happy I have a "great condition" six in terms of simplicity and a little bit better fuel economy. Even so, i miss power.

people almost always are willing to pay a higher price for more horsepower. The 8 cylinder cars are also less common.

KBB and NADA are usually higher than real-world prices. Ebay is usually lower (a real buyer's market there, if you can hit someone's reserve on a decent car). As was stated earlier, you can't touch the bang-for-the-buck of an E34.

The 535s are plentiful and desirable because of BMWs most reliable retail market engine. The 540s are relatively rare, but DAMN - so performance-oriented. The 530s have a smaller displacement than the bullet-proof M30 engine, are more costly to repair and are more maintenance-prone. I'm sure it was marketed as a more economical version of the "larger" 540i. And it puts out substantially less hp and gets lousy mileage. But at the time (mid-90s) a V8 BMW was an earth-shattering concept. (Yes, I know the 840i and 850i were around by then, but the were considered an exotic - and priced as such.) For reference, the then-most-popular Ford engine was the 5.0L V8, and it was still a "small-block" V8. The 540i is only ~4.0L, and kicks ASS on the stock 5.0L, with only 4/5 of the displacement.

I saw a car ad on TV for some new mid-size import sedan, touting 24MPG on the highway! My 540i/6 gets at least that (with a 4.0L performance V8), and better on long trips when the control systems lean out. About 210K on the clock and still going (very) strong.

To compensate for manufacturers fiddling with the testing, especially on hybrids, the advertised highway mileage is not the actual tested mileage. The procedure was just changed for the 2008 model year but even before that the actual EPA test results used to be reduced by a factor of something like 22% on the highway test. (Your car actually tests at 30 on the rollers, you get to claim 24.) The testing now is a bit more strict in how the vehicle is operated on the test bed, and I don't know what factor is in current use. Regardless, it's not that hard to beat the ratings if you monitor your driving style.

Quote Originally Posted by filmy540i/6
    KBB and NADA are usually higher than real-world prices. Ebay is usually lower (a real buyer's market there, if you can hit someone's reserve on a decent car). As was stated earlier, you can't touch the bang-for-the-buck of an E34.

The 535s are plentiful and desirable because of BMWs most reliable retail market engine. The 540s are relatively rare, but DAMN - so performance-oriented. The 530s have a smaller displacement than the bullet-proof M30 engine, are more costly to repair and are more maintenance-prone. I'm sure it was marketed as a more economical version of the "larger" 540i. And it puts out substantially less hp and gets lousy mileage. But at the time (mid-90s) a V8 BMW was an earth-shattering concept. (Yes, I know the 840i and 850i were around by then, but the were considered an exotic - and priced as such.) For reference, the then-most-popular Ford engine was the 5.0L V8, and it was still a "small-block" V8. The 540i is only ~4.0L, and kicks ASS on the stock 5.0L, with only 4/5 of the displacement.

I saw a car ad on TV for some new mid-size import sedan, touting 24MPG on the highway! My 540i/6 gets at least that (with a 4.0L performance V8), and better on long trips when the control systems lean out. About 210K on the clock and still going (very) strong.
    my 94 lincoln got 30 mpg on the highway with 280 horspower from the 32 vavle v8

the 5.0 was a very low technology engine, designed to be cheap to produce - and it was and still is a lot cheaper than the 4.0 in the 540. apples to oranges

This site is incredibly helpful if you want to research mileage on different models:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BennyM
    This site is incredibly helpful if you want to research mileage on different models:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
    i looked up my car, and they are wrong my 5 mpg on the highway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast